Deposit scheme on plastic bottles

Where do we take them back too,the shop or is the recycling bin going to give us some money back like a one armed bandit.If its like the ones in china it will be a machine that you put them in to and they will put it on your card.I think you can pay for train tickets in china buy putting plastic bottles in a machine.Found one for sale here.

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Good-Quality-Plastic-Bottle-Recycling-Machine_60578108626.html?spm=a2700.7724857.main07.85.2ac3627eOCfIfD

back in the early 90s there used to be at least one "tramp" for use of a better word, in sheff used to collect bags of aluminium cans

Try, Entrepreneur mel.

Try, Entrepreneur mel.

yeah hes prolly a millionaire now

Make the deposit 25p a unit, money is returned next time the shop is visited net cost to purchasers zero.

Forcing crisp and sweet manufacturers to make biodegradable packets and the litter problem will be drastically cut.

We may then be able to go for a walk without seeing the obscene amounts of litter currently scattered throughout our country.

Would the same system work with dog poo?

Charge extra for the dog food, and then return the digested food and you get your deposit returned :)

The mind boggles when trying to understand the mindset of morons who go to the trouble of bagging mess tying a not in it (the bag that is) and putting it in bushes.

So, looks like the cash in machines read barcodes. At least some of them in Estonia do (they check the EAN number to see if the bottle came from Estonia, before accepting it and paying out cash).

Anyone have some cheap plastic tubing and a barcode printer for sale?

They have (or had) a scheme like this in Denmark. Glass bottles and pop bottles could be put in a machine at the supermarket and you got a deposit back based on weight I think. There were lots of 'not very well off' looking people scouring the centre of Copenhagen looking for them and filling carrier bags.

Totally agree, I also put all plastic apart from the film off packaging in the blue bin, just because they might not recycle one type of plastic here I am sure there would be enough to transport to an area that does recycle it.

No, they'll treat the load as"contaminated" and just landfill the lot.

I am sceptical. I have memories of collecting bags and bags of aluminium cans to take to the supermarket for weighing in. The need to collect and store the things for weeks and weeks on end. Even crushed they took up loads of space. The money earned was pathetic and it was horrible having bags of the things around so it never ever happened again.

people who already recycle will take them back and get a refund, people who dont recycle , like myself , will just bin them .

Its just another Government revenue raising scheme.

Perhaps the deposit should be £10/bottle. I reckon that would encourage even people like you.

back in the early 90s there used to be at least one "tramp" for use of a better word, in sheff used to collect bags of aluminium cans

That was when Alcan gave you 1p per can. They even gave out those little magnets to check if the can was the right one!

When I was a kid in the 60s we used to take bottles back and get a refund. I think the plastic bottle refund will work if it's set at the right amount.

Kids and alcoholics will trawl the streets picking them up and getting the deposit back, and the streets will be a lot cleaner as a result.