Deposit scheme on plastic bottles

5p says the Government can.

people who already recycle will take them back and get a refund, people who dont recycle , like myself , will just bin them .

Its just another Government revenue raising scheme.

im not happy about it, we put all ours in the recycling bin anyway, i personally dont want and cant really afford to pay more for something i do anyway. And taking them back is a pain for us as we dont drive and live in the middle of nowhere, its 2 shopping trips instead of 1.

Do the bottles have to be taken back to the place you bought em from? how do they know? not sure how that side of it works.

---------- Post added 28-03-2018 at 18:10 ----------

people who already recycle will take them back and get a refund, people who dont recycle , like myself , will just bin them .

well einstein, how could it be? if you took them back and got yer money back then they wouldnt get extra revenue ;) you cant blame the government for you being lazy and not giving a rats arse

You cannot force people to recycle. and the sooner our Government realise this the better.

But there is money in recycling, hundreds of millions of £.

When we voluntarily put our tins and plastic bottles in the blue bin we are contributing to a massive global industry, and firms like Veolia don't get involved in stuff for the good of their health.

They just need to make it a lot easier.

Why should I trawl through all my refuse studying to the nth degree the symbols and blurb about PPT, PPE, etc to decide if it goes in the blue bin? Tough, Veolia have the contract and are reaping the profits, they can do the sorting and sifting as well. I put all plastic in the blue bin.

Back in the day all pop bottles were glass and you got brass back when you returned them. We used to hunt around for them, cash them in and have a night out at the flicks with the proceedes of our labours.

So 50+ years on I see no reason why a similar idea would not work with plastic, give it a chance and let's see.

Angel1.

Where I live we have a brown, green and black bin. We are forced to recycle, because we cannot fit all our waste into the black bin, larger families are forced to recycle as much as possible, because they have even more waste for their black bins.

Recycling bottles and cans is just another step, to get people into the habit and to make them think about their waste.

When I was a kid in the 60s we used to take bottles back and get a refund. I think the plastic bottle refund will work if it's set at the right amount.

When I was a kid in the 60s we used to take bottles back and get a refund. I think the plastic bottle refund will work if it's set at the right amount.

The only difference maybe is that back then the few coppers we got back meant something to us. Probably many nowadays wouldn't put themselves out for even 22p. back.

I think its a great idea and given a chance there's no reason it shouldn't work. Isn't the planet worth a little effort from us all.

Make the deposit 25p a unit, money is returned next time the shop is visited net cost to purchasers zero.

Forcing crisp and sweet manufacturers to make biodegradable packets and the litter problem will be drastically cut.

We may then be able to go for a walk without seeing the obscene amounts of litter currently scattered throughout our country.

But there is money in recycling, hundreds of millions of £.

When we voluntarily put our tins and plastic bottles in the blue bin we are contributing to a massive global industry, and firms like Veolia don't get involved in stuff for the good of their health.

They just need to make it a lot easier.

Why should I trawl through all my refuse studying to the nth degree the symbols and blurb about PPT, PPE, etc to decide if it goes in the blue bin? Tough, Veolia have the contract and are reaping the profits, they can do the sorting and sifting as well. I put all plastic in the blue bin.

Totally agree, I also put all plastic apart from the film off packaging in the blue bin, just because they might not recycle one type of plastic here I am sure there would be enough to transport to an area that does recycle it.

I've seen the machines in Finland in the supermarket doorway , you just feed in the the plastic / glass bottles and out pops the money ....no wonder all the hotel cleaning staff had massive bags of plastic bottles

I've seen the machines in Finland in the supermarket doorway , you just feed in the the plastic / glass bottles and out pops the money ....no wonder all the hotel cleaning staff had massive bags of plastic bottles

back in the early 90s there used to be at least one "tramp" for use of a better word, in sheff used to collect bags of aluminium cans