Speeding ticket discussion thread

People doing 80 on the motorway are not a good thing either way.

If you're doing 80 on the motorway your speedometer is saying you're doing what? around 88.

I hope not. It CAN overread by that much, but mine certainly doesn't.

So you're a full 18ish mph over the limit.

Err, no, you aren't. You're a full 10mph over the limit. You can't pretend that an overreading speedo means you're going faster than you really are.

If you were doing this by accident then you're not really in control of the vehicle and the consequences of not being in control at those speeds could be very serious for yourself and others. Its dangerously ignorant. If you're doing this on purpose then you're very deliberately choosing to ignore the speed limit which makes you a dangerous idiot.

So you are again calling the vast majority of drivers dangerous idiots. That despite the fact that you just calculated 80 mph as being 18mph over the 70 limit. :thumbsup:

I do drive, but lets clear this up for you, I don't ever deliberately exceed the speed limit and I am very careful not to exceed the speed limit, where I do so by mistake I admonish myself for not sticking to the limit. It usually involves the speedometer reading a mile or two over, usually when going down a steep hill, so given speedometer accuracy I probably almost never actually exceed the speed limit.

You may indeed never deliberately exceed the speed limit, although I'd say that makes you very unusual.

You admonish yourself for being dangerously out of control. well, :thumbsup:, that makes it okay when you do it then, but not for anyone else.

Back to work now, but you keep telling people that exceeding the speed limit is safe and doesn't mean they're dangerous drivers.

Not quite. I keep arguing that exceeding the speed limit doesn't automatically make you dangerous. Nor does sticking to the speed limit make you safe.

Hi does anyone know how long it takes for a speeding ticket to come through post ? 

12 minutes ago, irenefilms92 said:

Hi does anyone know how long it takes for a speeding ticket to come through post ? 

Should be within 14 days to registered keeper 

On 30/03/2018 at 09:21, Lockdoctor said:

Inappropriate speed is what causes accidents rather than drivers going a little over a speed limit on some roads. There is an element of revenue earning rather than safety when the Police decide to choose which roads to catch motorists doing 35 mph in a 30 mph zone. The speed awareness courses don't really make much sense when drivers vastly exceeding a speed limit are not offered a place on a course.

They make more sense that you think, I’d suggest.  
They are targeted at marginal speeders on the basis that those doing more than marginal speeding are thought to be beyond the pale (and educational help) - I have disagreed with this approach in the past but the band of marginal speed has been extended over the years to the current figure of 42mph. 

With half of road deaths involving vulnerable road users mostly in urban areas , marginal speeders are targeted for courses because of their sheer number and because of the Laws of Physics and Probability. 
Physics: every mph over any given speed makes a disproportionate difference to the force of impact in any resultant coming-together. (Drivers genuinely don’t know, understand or appreciate this as realty, truth, fact - hence an easy educational benefit.  Your own contribution above - uncontested until now - says so).
Probability: the vast bulk of marginal speeding goes unnoticed and nobody gets hurt.  Sooner or later, someone does get hurt.   Currently, a quarter of the road deaths are pedestrians.  No driving licence comes with a guarantee that you won’t meet the kamikaze pedestrian. 

As for revenue raising, I thought we’d killed that easy, lazy, spoon-fed cliché a long time ago - but it appears not because so many people have repeated it and it has become the perceived truth.  Oh well ...

Edited by DT Ralge

4 hours ago, DT Ralge said:

(...)

As for revenue raising, I thought we’d killed that easy, lazy, spoon-fed cliché a long time ago - but it appears not because so many people have repeated it and it has become the perceived truth.  Oh well ...

As ever, you make astute comments on driving topics...but on that final paragraph, I'll beg to introduce a trend-bucking observation: here in Luxembourg, you don't see *any* enforcement until the 21st-22nd of every month (besides automatic cameras, which are not relevant to the observation since they clock 24/7/52 irrespective). 

Then in the last week /10 days of the month or so, there are mobile speed traps and vehicle-/docs-checking roadblocks just about everywhere, at which zero latitude is shown (e.g. no producers: if you haven't got your insurance cert, and/or driving license, and/or current MOT, and/or cert of conformity, in the car with you -originals, not copies- it's a fine). Regular as clockwork, exact same behaviour month-in month-out for the last 18 months I've been here, and you can literally feel driving behaviour changing (...for the better!) across other road users at month end. 

Now if that doesn't scream 'monthly quotas' at you, I don't what would (an obvious consequence is that, around here, it's safer to drive at month end than at month start :D)

Anecdotally, marginal speeders (up to 10 km/h over limit) are treated to a low value fine (€45) without any points recorded. Two so far here, both 77 i/of 70 (km/h), I blame the car's oversensitive go faster pedal :blush:

Edited by L00b

6 hours ago, L00b said:

As ever, you make astute comments on driving topics...but on that final paragraph, I'll beg to introduce a trend-bucking observation: here in Luxembourg, you don't see *any* enforcement until the 21st-22nd of every month (besides automatic cameras, which are not relevant to the observation since they clock 24/7/52 irrespective). 

Then in the last week /10 days of the month or so, there are mobile speed traps and vehicle-/docs-checking roadblocks just about everywhere, at which zero latitude is shown (e.g. no producers: if you haven't got your insurance cert, and/or driving license, and/or current MOT, and/or cert of conformity, in the car with you -originals, not copies- it's a fine). Regular as clockwork, exact same behaviour month-in month-out for the last 18 months I've been here, and you can literally feel driving behaviour changing (...for the better!) across other road users at month end. 

Now if that doesn't scream 'monthly quotas' at you, I don't what would (an obvious consequence is that, around here, it's safer to drive at month end than at month start :D)

Anecdotally, marginal speeders (up to 10 km/h over limit) are treated to a low value fine (€45) without any points recorded. Two so far here, both 77 i/of 70 (km/h), I blame the car's oversensitive go faster pedal :blush:

Interesting, thanks.