A day aht ont’sharra ..

I remember going on day trips with 'The Steel' on Harborough Avenue. We used to get to the pub and there would about a dozen coaches lined up, Ron Haighs I think, or Haighys as my mum called them. We would be directed to our coach, though parents and grown ups had their own further do the line. We were given a brown wage packet with 10 bob [50p]. If we wanted to wee you had to ask the driver to stop somewere, usually near bushes. Then we would get to the stop off and wait for our mums, have a bottle of pop then all get on the coach to reach our destination, usually Cleethorpes. When we arrived we went went for fish and chips, bread and butter and a cup of tea. The rest of the afternoon was our own. At the set time we all piled back on, settled down and waited to get back to The Steel, where my dad would be waiting for us. They would go for a quick pint and bring me out a bag of crisps and a bottle of pop. Then off home to bed very happy, with a stck of rock and sand in our shoes and socks. Happy times.

It's not dialect, just an old word for a thing that doesn't exist anymore.

I agree “charabanc” isn’t dialect (it’s a French word) and is no longer in common use in English. However, the Sheffield corruption/abbreviation of “charabanc” ie “sharra”, surely is a dialect (a particular form of a language which is peculiar to a specific region or social group) word .......

I wonder whether in the early days it ever was referred to as a "charabanc?" Like a "bus" used to be called an "omnibus?"

I wonder whether in the early days it ever was referred to as a "charabanc?" Like a "bus" used to be called an "omnibus?"

Sort of ..... they tried after a fashion; as well as “sharra”, people used to say “sharrabang” - at least, round the Holme Lane/Taplin Road area they did!

Ive just made a journey by bus from one end of the city to the other and quite enjoyed myself and it got me remembering for some reason holidays as a child to devon and norfolk when we didnt have a car and enjoying the day trips by coach to nearby places but especially enjoyed the "Evening Mystery Tour" where we all piled on a couach at 6pm not knowing where we going but it usually included the countryside a stop at a pub I suppose they were popular as not many people had cars in those days. I wonder if any companies still run tbese trips or are they assigned to history now ?

The Nags Head on Shales Moor had a day out on a sharra to Clowne (evening really) as the ex Corporation bus climbed the hill out of Mosbro we all had to get off and push as the bus stopped dead half way up.

The pie and pea supper at some pub or other was crap( to top off the trip that is).

I remember it as a "Sharrabang" most often reverted to "Sharra." Yes its an old French word, Charabanc, that we in south Yorkshire had adopted for bus. Not sure about the south of England. And mostly for the coach type vehicle that went to the coast on WMC trips. We went to school on a bus, not a Sharra (after the trams had disappeared).

Possibly a holdover from the early 20th century when many French expressions crept into the English language, esp. as French was the primary language of diplomacy, which we used, until after WW2 ?

It was where the Aven works is now in the war they made ammo and sten guns and other ordnance.Hemswell was once commanded by Guy Gibson In the cold war it held a very large stock of Hydrogen bombs.

The Aven Works were part of Firth Brown Tools group, I served some of my apprenticeship there in 1967, then back to number 4 gate FBTon Carlisle St East.