A day aht ont’sharra ..

Hi St Petre - I'd forgotten RAF Hemswell but of course you're right (if the sharra went to Bridlington we would pass RAF Driffield). On Cleethorpes trips I seem to remember that somewhere around Bramley or Maltby we would look out for the "secret factory" on the left - something to do with war work. And then there was Tickhill Castle. Memories!

Well all these years I"ve lived in Sheffield and never knew there was a tickhill castle, thought you mean"t conisboro.... just googled it and it looks quite an imposing feature, must pay it a visit sometime.

Hi St Petre - I'd forgotten RAF Hemswell but of course you're right (if the sharra went to Bridlington we would pass RAF Driffield). On Cleethorpes trips I seem to remember that somewhere around Bramley or Maltby we would look out for the "secret factory" on the left - something to do with war work. And then there was Tickhill Castle. Memories!

Where was or what was that 'secret factory' Mr.H. as in; are the premises still there and most Sheffield kids only went thro' Bramley or Maltby on Characbancs on their way to the Lincolnshire Rivera. Just to add, didn't RAF Bawtry (there were no military planes or an airfield there) have something to do with the war and post war effort ?

I have no details of the "secret factory" except that it was out in the country, on the left somewhere after going on Bawtry Road. I seem to remember that it consisted of single-storey buildings that may have been prefabricated.

I have no details of the "secret factory" except that it was out in the country, on the left somewhere after going on Bawtry Road. I seem to remember that it consisted of single-storey buildings that may have been prefabricated.

Understood Mr. H. Wouldn't want you to give out classified information would we ?

Where was or what was that 'secret factory' Mr.H. as in; are the premises still there and most Sheffield kids only went thro' Bramley or Maltby on Characbancs on their way to the Lincolnshire Rivera. Just to add, didn't RAF Bawtry (there were no military planes or an airfield there) have something to do with the war and post war effort ?

Was RAF Bawtry also the old meteorological station where weather reports came from....or is that another place?

Was RAF Bawtry also the old meteorological station where weather reports came from....or is that another place?

You are correct with that.

Is this the industrial estate on the left as you leave Maltby just after the old Maltby pit?. Aven Industrial Estate.

charabanc

ˈʃarəbaŋ/Submit

nounBRITISH

an early form of bus, used typically for pleasure trips.

It's not dialect, just an old word for a thing that doesn't exist anymore.

Is this the industrial estate on the left as you leave Maltby just after the old Maltby pit?. Aven Industrial Estate.
Yes, it could have been this industrial estate as the location is about where I remember it. Edited by hillsbro

It was where the Aven works is now in the war they made ammo and sten guns and other ordnance.Hemswell was once commanded by Guy Gibson In the cold war it held a very large stock of Hydrogen bombs.

It was where the Aven works is now in the war they made ammo and sten guns and other ordnance.Hemswell was once commanded by Guy Gibson In the cold war it held a very large stock of Hydrogen bombs.

I think W.C. Guy Gibson at the 'Dam Buster' time was based at RAF Scampton (Lincolnshire), RAF Hemswell was a sort of 'back up' airbase. The outside scenes for the Dam Busters film were made at RAF Hemswell (near Gainsborough.