Beware of this BT scam !

We have had this a few times, awful!

Anyone getting calls from an American lady telling me that my computer is about to be scammed! from California and rendered useless and to press 1 straight away!!!!! I wonder how many people fall for it!!

Had this caller twice this morning. Was given a number by BT to tap in to bar the number but it’s still happening !

A couple of people have been getting automated messages from the above number claiming to be from BT saying that their internet will be disconnected tonight if they don't select option #1.

This is either a phishing expedition or option #1 will connect you to a premium rate number which will appear on your next bill.

Two points:-

(1) This is doing the rounds using a LARGE collection of spoofed numbers.

(2) This particular number is clearly a con - it is (a) too long to be a UK one and (b) no UK landline number begins with a zero.

See the reports on  http://uk.whocalledme.net/ , for instance. There are other sites, just that I tend to use this one to check, on the few occaisions when I need to.

Edited by RollingJ
added detail

We have been getting these for months. I block the number every time but they just use another one.

I got one the other day that was really the number for a garden maintenance contractor in Bolsover. 

If the call is from an 'actual person' claiming to be from BT / Microsoft etc etc and I'm bored, I see how long I can keep them on the line for. I spent a funny 20 minutes as my record. Eventually he got fed up and hung up. Nice to waste their time and have  a bit of fun at the same time.

Do what I do tell them you use dos ,proper baffles them 

had 5 calls today saying its bt going to cut off your internet,all different numbers isn't it about time it should be stopped  I kept one talking for 10 mins last week and she cut off when I said I just wanted to have a chat till my dinner was ready ,any other tips to get shut .

Keep getting these too. The big annoying factor is it is an automated call with "press 1 ... etc". What I want is an actual person that I can verbally abuse. Get a  lot of satisfaction telling the callers to go forth and multiply  and questioning their parentage.  

I received via my land line an odd message telling me that during the next 24 hours my BT internet connection would be cut off because of suspected hacking.  I was invited to press 1 for something and 2 for something else.   I didn't.  Has anyone had something similar?  I dialled 1471 and the number who had called began 00625....   

Just ignore it. I'm always getting calls from 'BT' about problems with the internet. They usually have an American or other foreign accent.