Beware of this BT scam !

I have been phoned on my landline twice this week. A pre-recorded American woman’s voice says : your internet service provider number has been compromised so you need to change it. Press 1 to change it. If you don’t you will be cut off within 24 hours.

I put the phone down and dialled 1471 to get their number. I was surprised that it was a Sheffield number.

I phoned BT who said it was a scam, and told me to put the phone down on them and tap in this 4 digit number which they gave me and said this blocks this caller forever. I asked why the call was from a Sheffield number . BT said the scammers can make a number up.

I found this scam very nasty and threatening.!

Edited by pattricia

Hello I thought Id put it on here not sure if it is the right place but had a scam call that left a message on my home phone saying my IP Address had been comprimised in several countries and that I had to phone them back and change the IP within 48 hours or my internet would be switched off...

I am with BT and looked up the number and message and people said it was a scam don't fall for it

Earlier the phone rang, I picked it up, it was silent for a few moments before a female English sounding, but robotic automated message began.

It said it was from BT, and that my account has been compromised and so my internet will cease working from today.

That's as much as I got from it though because as it went on it became unintelligible for my ears because of the monotonous robotic voice rambling too fast without natural pauses in speech, so I hung up.

Is it just a scam?

Well your internet is still working, unless you are out somewhere posting this.Best ignored, see if there is a follow-up call, which there will be if it's a scam.

Earlier the phone rang, I picked it up, it was silent for a few moments before a female English sounding, but robotic automated message began.

It said it was from BT, and that my account has been compromised and so my internet will cease working from today.

That's as much as I got from it though because as it went on it became unintelligible for my ears because of the monotonous robotic voice rambling too fast without natural pauses in speech, so I hung up.

Is it just a scam?

A scam Alan. Lots of them about. Always verify with service provider if you're in any doubt. I'd think 99 times out of a 100, anything like this is some kind of a scam.

Any numbers that call you can be checked on the various phone look up sites to see who the caller was, you won't always find who called though if the number has not been logged by someone.

https://www.shouldianswer.co.uk/

http://www.tellows.co.uk

http://www.whocalledme.com

It will tell you of the type of caller and how many times the number has been searched for.

Edited by iansheff

Anyone getting calls from an American lady telling me that my computer is about to be scammed! from California and rendered useless and to press 1 straight away!!!!! I wonder how many people fall for it!!

Thats been going on along while........ Dont panic just simply hang up :)

Also if someone calls pretending to be from a company and you're unsure just tell them you'll ring them back on the numbers provided on the website.