Faulty car immobiliser??

My car a Vauxhall agila is the best car I've had by far but just recently on two occasions it won't start after only just driving it. I put the key in and disable the steering lock and the immobiliser seems to be not responding at all, could it be faulty or something as simple as a new battery in the key fob?? Sensible answers please :D

My car a Vauxhall agila is the best car I've had by far but just recently on two occasions it won't start after only just driving it. I put the key in and disable the steering lock and the immobiliser seems to be not responding at all, could it be faulty or something as simple as a new battery in the key fob?? Sensible answers please :D

Best put a code reader on it see if anything's logged

How do I do that, I'm not technically minded lol

Find someone with a reader advertise on here for someone don't cost much if its logged a fault you will know what the problem is saves stabbing in dark

take it to a key cutters they should be able to read it

Does the light flash when trying to start it as car could be losing its immbolizer code

Somebody has mentioned using a code reader, be advised that an EOBD reader (the most affordable, generic and common type of code reader) is only designed to read faults associated with emissions. Many won't be able to detect if there's an issue with the immobiliser system.

Somebody else has mentioned having the key tested by a key cutter. They usually can't tell you if the key transponder is actually faulty, they can only tell you that they can/can't read it. They also won't be able to tell you if your transponder aerial, module or wiring is okay or faulty (all within the vehicle itself).

What symptoms do you have? Does the transponder LED (usually situated on dash display) behave differently when it does or doesn't start?

Edited by RootsBooster

Somebody has mentioned using a code reader, be advised that an EOBD reader (the most affordable, generic and common type of code reader) is only designed to read faults associated with emissions. Many won't be able to detect if there's an issue with the immobiliser system.

Somebody else has mentioned having the key tested by a key cutter. They usually can't tell you if the key transponder is actually faulty, they can only tell you that they can/can't read it. They also won't be able to tell you if your transponder aerial, module or wiring is okay or faulty (all within the vehicle itself).

What symptoms do you have? Does the transponder LED (usually situated on dash display) behave differently when it does or doesn't start?

A good one (snap on ,Bosch etc) will tell you if car is receiving signal from the key

A good one (snap on ,Bosch etc) will tell you if car is receiving signal from the key

They don't tend to make EOBD readers, they make multi-brand, multi module scanners. They're also not within the average car owner's price range.

They don't tend to make EOBD readers, they make multi-brand, multi module scanners. They're also not within the average car owner's price range.

You can buy a decent machine for as little as £4-500 I sold my fully up to date top of the range machine for only £1000

You'll need to take it to a garage then, or get someone out to look at it if it won't start.

If you have a second key try that first, will at least tell you if thats an issue.

You can buy a decent machine for as little as £4-500 I sold my fully up to date top of the range machine for only £1000

You can get them cheaper than that, mine was £2,000 when I got it a few years ago, they're even cheaper and better now.

That's my point exactly though, the average motorist (with the exception of some enthusiasts) doesn't want to fork out thousands, or even just a few hundred pounds on a gadget that is only the first step in a series of costs to get their car fixed.

*EDIT: I misread your price as £4-5000

The Autel Maxidiag Elite is less than £200 and does most things you'd want, bar key programming and ECU parameter alterations, I'd recommend that to anyone

Edited by RootsBooster