Good areas in east Sheffield

Wickersley is dearer because there's a lot of ten Bob millionaires who live there

Not the other way round?

_ray_ - the reason that homes in Wickersley are more costly is mostly down to the address, which is seen as desirable. It has a few areas with expensive housing that most of us cannot afford but it is becoming over developed due to garden grabbing. It seems that every spare bit of land is being built on. I know someone who lives in a modest semi in Wickersley but it has beautiful views over the countryside. Sadly, these will soon be lost when the adjacent field is built on. Neighbouring areas are mostly good and better value for money.

Re your enquiry about Beighton etc. All have good, and not so good areas but may not meet your criteria of 30 minutes commute into Doncaster (depending on where you are going to be working). Bawtry, Tickhill are both nice, rural areas but might not be suitable for your girlfriend if she finds work in Sheffield. The commute will probably be lengthy at peak hours. You should not underestimate the traffic congestion and parking problems in Sheffield.

Can't help you much with your enquiry about leisure centres although there is the Dome in Doncaster. Maltby has a nice one but don't know if it is suitable for your purposes. Bramley has sports facilities at Bannatyes and at the Hellaby Hall Hotel.

My problem with Rotherham is that every good area is situated next to a poor one. Wickersley is next to Sunnyside and Dalton, Moorgate is close to Canklow Meadows and Brookhouse is next to Thurcroft, the very highly rated Whiston is far too close to the motorway for my liking.

Not the other way round?

No, there's some genuinely well off people, but then there's the ones who have everything on credit and go in the Mason's every weekend to show off what they don't actually own!

---------- Post added 26-03-2018 at 11:08 ----------

My problem with Rotherham is that every good area is situated next to a poor one. Wickersley is next to Sunnyside and Dalton, Moorgate is close to Canklow Meadows and Brookhouse is next to Thurcroft, the very highly rated Whiston is far too close to the motorway for my liking.

That isn't just at Rotherham, it's all over. Wickersley may be next to Sunnyside, but it's also next to Brecks, Bramley and Morthen.

For example, my mate lives in Gleadless...

No, there's some genuinely well off people, but then there's the ones who have everything on credit and go in the Mason's every weekend to show off what they don't actually own.

So the ten bob millionaires are what make houses in Wickersley dearer? They must be a real pull for the wannabes. :)

_ray_ - the reason that homes in Wickersley are more costly is mostly down to the address, which is seen as desirable. It has a few areas with expensive housing that most of us cannot afford but it is becoming over developed due to garden grabbing. It seems that every spare bit of land is being built on. I know someone who lives in a modest semi in Wickersley but it has beautiful views over the countryside. Sadly, these will soon be lost when the adjacent field is built on. Neighbouring areas are mostly good and better value for money.

Re your enquiry about Beighton etc. All have good, and not so good areas but may not meet your criteria of 30 minutes commute into Doncaster (depending on where you are going to be working). Bawtry, Tickhill are both nice, rural areas but might not be suitable for your girlfriend if she finds work in Sheffield. The commute will probably be lengthy at peak hours. You should not underestimate the traffic congestion and parking problems in Sheffield.

Can't help you much with your enquiry about leisure centres although there is the Dome in Doncaster. Maltby has a nice one but don't know if it is suitable for your purposes. Bramley has sports facilities at Bannatyes and at the Hellaby Hall Hotel.

Real helpful information, thank you.

I have also started looking at areas around Doncaster (if both of us end up working there). Any suggestions on Cantley, Auckley, Rossington, Wadworth, Blyth etc.

Blyth is a lovely, rural area but has very few facilities. Two cars are an advantage in such places. Wadworth is quite rural and seems pleasant but that is just an impression gained when driving through. Doncaster has a lot of rural areas. As you are hoping to work there it seems sensible to limit your search to within a five or ten mile radius of your workplace. That should meet with your criteria of a 30 minute commute. Occasionally traffic can be heavy in Doncaster, depending on time of day. Not as bad as Sheffield though.

If you're looking out that way then you could include Oldcotes, perhaps Dinnington and more villages around there.

Real helpful information, thank you.

I have also started looking at areas around Doncaster (if both of us end up working there). Any suggestions on Cantley, Auckley, Rossington, Wadworth, Blyth etc.

Bessacarr was nice when we lived there, and still seems ok. Auckley and Branton are becoming more expensive, the new link roads to the airport make the M18 more accessible. They are also near the Wildlife Park. Rossington and Cantley are more mixed.