What was the first Indian restaurant?

Sorry if it's been a major thread before, but I couldn't find it - also I've seen it crop up, unanswered, in other threads. What was the first Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Kashmiri restaurant to open in Sheffield? Was it in attercliffe, London Road, city centre? Presumably it was actually Indian, but I don't know.

I don't know when the first Indian Restaurant opened but I went to one up Division St about 1964,can't remember the name.

I was working on the new Coles and got a date with one of the girls.

I took her to this Indian restaurant, but she was a roast beef and Yorkshire pud kind if girl so I did not impress her with my dining habits.

To make the evening a disaster I found a Caterpillar chrysalis in my salad.

So much for my choice of restaurants

Sorry if it's been a major thread before, but I couldn't find it - also I've seen it crop up, unanswered, in other threads. What was the first Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Kashmiri restaurant to open in Sheffield? Was it in attercliffe, London Road, city centre? Presumably it was actually Indian, but I don't know.
The first one I remember (although I never went) was the Indus in Fitzalan square, it stood where Cooplands is now. The doorway led you downstairs and I can still remember the smell which was very unusual at the time, wafting up onto the pavement. I may be wrong but this was the only around in the late sixties/early seventies to my knowledge :)

Remember it well, served good food.It was part of a conspiracy theory as I remember.

It was next to a cinema the name of which I can't remember

The story goes that a company wanted to develop fitzallen square. This meant demolishing the cinema but it was a listed building so they couldn't then one night the cinema burnt down taking the Restaurant with it.

Remember it well the food was good. It was next to acinema the name of which I can't remember (The classic?)

It was also part of a conspiracy theory.

A company wanted to develop Fitzalen square which meant demolishing the cinema.Unfortunately the cinema was a listed building so they couldn't.One night the cinema burnt down taking the restaurant with it. I remember reading in the Star about it being in suspicous citrcumstances but nothing was ever proved.

Remember it well the food was good. It was next to acinema the name of which I can't remember (The classic?)

It was also part of a conspiracy theory.

A company wanted to develop Fitzalen square which meant demolishing the cinema.Unfortunately the cinema was a listed building so they couldn't.One night the cinema burnt down taking the restaurant with it. I remember reading in the Star about it being in suspicous citrcumstances but nothing was ever proved.

No smoke without fire I suppose :D . It was the Classic and was probably listed, so who knows? It finished up a proper flea pit. I wonder if the old owners of the Indus got a new restaurant and where is it?:)

Its funny how many old cinemas accidentally burn down when their buildings become expensive to run in this city. I know of two other examples, one being an outrageous insurance job.

The two I remember from years ago were the Induz in Fitzallan Square and Nirmals on Glossop Road. I think the owner waas called Nirmal Gupta. She was a great lady who made everyone feel welcome, trying to introduce people to try new foods instead of the standard Korma (Mild) with chips that most people seemed to eat then. Not a very adventurous society like nowadays!

Used to go to a place in the Wicker run by a Mr Naaz called the Naaz.

Like a transport cafe with Formica tables and Elvis playing in the background. He used to stay open 'til 2 to 3 in the morning sometimes. Endless cups of free coffee as I remember and good food.

The Naaz was where I had my first curry - about 1978 for 50p. Fortunately the after effects the next day didn't put me off.

So the Naaz, Nirmals, and the Indus are candidates. I remember eating in the Curry Centre on London Road in the seventies. But there must have been 'Indian' restaurants in Sheffield well before that - in the fifties. Which one was first?

I believe the first one in the UK was Veeraswamy on Regent St in London in the 1920's - seems strange it would have taken 50 years to get this far north?