Impact of Austerity

I was just interested in what the forum Tories think about Northamptonshire County Council effectively collapsing due to ongoing austerity?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-40610349

I wonder what the 6 MPs in the East Midlands county have been saying about austerity? Here's just 2 to whet your appetite.

Wellingborough MP said in the HoC:

“Does the Secretary of State agree that our long-term economic plan has worked and that the Opposition Members who opposed it should now be contrite?”

Corby MP said in the HoC:

“This is local evidence that the Prime Minister’s Long Term Economic Plan is working.”

I wonder which party these MPs belong to...?

I was just interested in what the forum Tories think about Northamptonshire County Council effectively collapsing due to ongoing austerity?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-43451926

I wonder what the 6 MPs in the East Midlands county have been saying about austerity? Here's just 2 to whet your appetite.

“Does the Secretary of State agree that our long-term economic plan has worked and that the Opposition Members who opposed it should now be contrite?”

“This is local evidence that the Prime Minister’s Long Term Economic Plan is working.”

Greens?.

Angel1.

Greens?.

Angel1.

No, not quite. Have another go :hihi:

What a load of dramatic nonsense. NCC hasn't collapsed. It has simply put a ban on new spending while it addresses a £34m budget shortfall, hardly a huge amount for an organisation with a budget in the hundred of millions, and one easily rectified by a hike in council tax.

You know, I have lived in Asia for most of the last decade and it makes me laugh to hear all this ******** about austerity and how us Brits are all so hard done by by the government. What done of these complainers ever talk about is how austerity has forced down their mortgage payments for to the lowest levels in history, how they are getting rich on the back of rising house prices etc.

A friend visiting from Asia recently asked me why everyone in England is so angry when they have such a good life, dont get killed for speaking out against the government, have the option if they wish to live a life on benefits without ever having to work and never have to pay for things like education and health.

Most of the UK's whiners and whingers simply don't know they are born and need to get a bit of perspective.

Is this the same council that made a dodgy £10 million loan to the local football club which has now mysteriously vanished??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-northamptonshire-40610349

We can look at the Independent Inspector's Report into what was the cause of Northamptonshire Council running out of money.

"The Mind the Gap analysis does not demonstrate that NCC has been particularly badly treated by the funding formula. Local government as a whole can make a reasonable case that the quantum of funding available to support the services that they deliver has been squeezed hard during the austerity years but that is very different from concluding that the distribution of the available resource has been particularly unfair to NCC."

It would seem that austerity was not the cause of NCC running out of money. Whilst their budget undoubtedly been squeezed by austerity, as most budgets have, NCC wasn't treated unfairly in this regard.

The report concludes that they ran out of money because 'living within budgets constraints was not part of the culture' of the current council.

It seems they ran out of money not because austerity made it inevitable, but because they did not maintain budgetary control.

We can look at the Independent Inspector's Report into what was the cause of Northamptonshire Council running out of money.

"The Mind the Gap analysis does not demonstrate that NCC has been particularly badly treated by the funding formula. Local government as a whole can make a reasonable case that the quantum of funding available to support the services that they deliver has been squeezed hard during the austerity years but that is very different from concluding that the distribution of the available resource has been particularly unfair to NCC."

It would seem that austerity was not the cause of NCC running out of money. Whilst their budget undoubtedly been squeezed by austerity, as most budgets have, NCC wasn't treated unfairly in this regard.

The report concludes that they ran out of money because 'living within budgets constraints was not part of the culture' of the current council.

It seems they ran out of money not because austerity made it inevitable, but because they did not maintain budgetary control.

Thanks for that Robin.

I have to say I'm rather surprised that living within budget constraints isn't part of the culture. For over 40 years, people in this country have been lectured to about the need to live within their means.

It's always intersting what facts emerge when you get rid of the 'it's austerity, innit?' hyperbole.

Good post.

What a load of dramatic nonsense. NCC hasn't collapsed. It has simply put a ban on new spending while it addresses a £34m budget shortfall, hardly a huge amount for an organisation with a budget in the hundred of millions, and one easily rectified by a hike in council tax.

You know, I have lived in Asia for most of the last decade and it makes me laugh to hear all this ******** about austerity and how us Brits are all so hard done by by the government. What done of these complainers ever talk about is how austerity has forced down their mortgage payments for to the lowest levels in history, how they are getting rich on the back of rising house prices etc.

A friend visiting from Asia recently asked me why everyone in England is so angry when they have such a good life, dont get killed for speaking out against the government, have the option if they wish to live a life on benefits without ever having to work and never have to pay for things like education and health.

Most of the UK's whiners and whingers simply don't know they are born and need to get a bit of perspective.

As someone who rents, I'm pleased to hear that homeowners are getting rich on the back of rising house prices.

With regards to the point about people having the option to live on benefits for the rest of their lives, no they don't. There is report after report on the chaos caused by benefit cuts. Not just chaos, but many people have tragically taken their own lives. In at least one case I'm aware of, the coroner was very clear about the impact of benefit cuts.

Never mind though, for those vulnerable and disabled people who are being adversely impacted, at least their not in Asia where they can get killed for complaining. Their only hardship is not knowing they're born.

I’ve never felt rich on the back of our residential property, we just live in it, we’ve made money from other property and investments, but home is just home, our son however is on to a real winner as and when we peg out.

Guest makapaka
It's always intersting what facts emerge when you get rid of the 'it's austerity, innit?' hyperbole.

Good post.

It's not a good post. It's an apologists view of austerity.

Jumping on a goverment backed inspection of a council to excuse cuts which decimating services and making peoples lives harder.

Were NCC incompetent - I can't be bothered to check - does it excuse the current austerity strategy - absolutely not.

I agree that if you have a roof over your head, food on the table and enough money to pay bills, then you are doing OK by many standards.

Buts lets not forget Asia is rich in resources and has some of the richest people in the world, (India has one of the highest number of milionaires per capita I believe,) but little in the way of a welfare system, or even a decent tax system, therefore there is a huge inequality between rich and poor - it is this gap that catagorises it as a 'developing' country. You'll find homeless people and disabled people gathered in the doorways of some of the most fabulous 5 and 6 star hotels full of the rich and priviledged. The money is there, but the will is not.

We are not a developing country, in fact we are 5th richest country in the world and well established, so we should be able to help everyone who needs it, yet provision in some areas, eg mental health, care for the elderly, and even the NHS in some instances, is woefull and, here is the most worrying point, getting worse. That is what worries people.

We no longer have security, and most people realise they are just an accident away from discovering that those things they took for granted for so long are no longer available. It doesn't affect most people at the moment, but what is wrong with fighting for those too weak to fight for themselves who are victims of austerity cuts, living on the streets etc.

Nobody is sure what's round the corner - mass automation and unemployment for example, ill health, a disability, old age for certain, and they are looking over their shoulder to see what might be in store for them.