Old fishing tackle shops

Hello I’ve just seen on here about Roe’s tackle shop on Victoria road, in Woodhouse I’m a member of this family and I would love to find out more about them, I was very young the last time I was there but I remember that they had a outhouse where he kept the maggots, any old pictures would be great thanks, you can contact me at m.thomas@shu.ac.uk 

Cheers Mark

Dawsons in holme lane i remember asking my mum to pop in and get me a pint of mixed maggots no sawdust and if they had any 2 guzunder floats,she wasnt best pleased when all the men in the shop laughed.

As a schoolkid with very little  cash flow I used Dawsons a lot ,he used to sell fishing rods made from army tank aerials !. They were compact and fitted nicely to the underside of my bike  they were cheap to purchase just the job for a kid on a budget,all kids living in the Hillsborough area used Dawsons!.

Edited by old tup
missed word

In the late 60s a local lad opened a small shop near to the Masons Arms on Langsett Road. I think it was called Andy's Fishing Tackle.

23 hours ago, carosio said:

In the late 60s a local lad opened a small shop near to the Masons Arms on Langsett Road...

The shop appears in Kelly's directories as G. Andrews - see here from the 1971 directory:

02.jpg

Thanks for that hillsbro, I knew the shop was close to the pub. 1971/2 was around the time Lower Walkley was demolished so many of these shops would soon cease trading.