Old fishing tackle shops

Harolds, on Richmond Rd, bobs worth of maggots, 1/2 lb of groundbait, for aston ponds or Clowne. If you wanted wood sawn to any specification, or a quarter inch wing nut, he would have it, or anything else, plus parafin, my sat morning chore, after papers, happy days

darwents at eckington,but i think it was called calverts before that..

Think Ernest Stamfords is still there - went there maybe about 5 years ago for reel rings and butt stop for Stamford rod bought at boot sale for £1 and £2 for parts, got great little rod for £3. OH has got Billy Clarke carp rod also bought from boot sale for £10, it's a cracker and I believe Billy Clarke is also still going. There used to be a fishing tackle shop on Stubbin Lane at Firth Park. near to where vets is now but can't remember name of it

It was called EXLEYS later it was owned by Trever liegh. The shop started trading around 1957/8:)

Does anyone remember the tackle shop at the bottom of Sharrow Vale Road, we used to get our bits and bait from there before getting the bus up to Forge Dam. It was a few doors down from where the off licence now is at the bottom of Cowlishaw Road.

My late Dad took up fishing in the fifties on Doctors orders to get him out in a relaxed atmosphere in the fresh air without a lot of exertion due to a chest complaint, and for his birthdays and other anniveraries I used to buy tackle from a shop on Ecclesall Rd at the bottom of Hanover St and the name Tom Poyser comes to mind.

The shop on High Street in Ecco was a lifeline for me. Getting my maggots and going to Ecco Pond or Worborough. The shop was really little and the bloke that ran it was a real Jack Hargreaves he was always giving us tips on how and where to fish.

My dad was a very keen fisherman and became good friends with Lakins (Brian and Brenda) who owned a tackle shop at Darnall and then went on to own one at Wodseats in the 80's. Old man Lakin had owned at few shops at Darnall prior to the 80's (sweets, records, toys) on Main Road before moving to Staniforth road. My dad helped out there after he had been made redundant from Brown Bayleys steel works. He used to come home and his trousers would be covered with the dye from the different coloured maggots. His hands too....sadly Brian Lakin is no longer with us.

I have just come accross this listing and enjoyed the memories it has brought back. I see no reference to the shop called Franks on Attercliffe Road, which I was part of opening and ran around 1955. I still have some rods I made for sale in the shop and treasure the memories of straightening Spanish Reed cane over a primus stove and chatting to customers from the Steel works around the corner when they popped in during there dinner time.

My name is Charlie Abbott and I now live in St. Asaph, North Wales.

Any memories anyone?

Harry Wright's Fishing Tackle Shop, Old Brompton Billiard Hall on the corner of Brompton Road and Newhall Road. My Dad's uncle, Harry Wright, owned it in the early 1960's.

George Bartholemew, my cousins husband, owned a tackle shop on the corner of Leppings Lane and Penistone Road in the 1970's.

And I was at school with Dorothy Wright. She had a hairdressers shop over the snooker hall too.

There was Botts at the corner of Morpeth Street in the 50s and he also built and repaired rods built and split cane as I had a couple repaired there.

Does anyone remember when Bennets started on Winter St, or Aldams near the Freedom pub on South Road.

Yes some great shops, anyone remember Ernie Wates on Woodseats, at the bottom of Scarsdale Road. Was a barbers and a tackle shop, he was a right character was Ernie. Bet there is not many shops where you can get a haircut and a pint of maggots.