Old fishing tackle shops

I can remember Billy Clarkes when it was just off Spital hill on Sorby st.Got to be 65yrs ago.

i got my 1st fishing rod from there paid on the never never

Hi, Billy Clarkes was a competitor of the shop I started called Franks on Attercliffe Rd in 1955/6. See my earlier posting. I hope some of you my age can remember the shop. I would love to hear from you with any memories about the time and area. Stamfords was further along Attercliffe Rd and they didn't like the idea we had opened. Within a few months I was selling 60 gallons of maggots and feeders, what a difference now.

If my memory serves me right Bennets opened up on the back of winning the All England. The winnings were used to open up on West Bar. I went into the Forces on call up and lost touch with all that was going on in the tackle and fishing world then.

Charlie Abbott,

Ex Burngreave Rd and School

My Grandfather had a fishing tackle shop in Asline Road, just off the end of Bramall Lane. His name was Harry Coward, a legend of an angler. Harry ran the shop til he died in the early 60's, then his son Joe ran it. Harry also organised and ran a Jeffcock's coach, leaving the shop 3 days a week, mainly to the Boston area. Tues & Thurs were mainly for pensioners, and those who couldn't afford it- Harry would "shout" them.Sunday was for anyone, however the vast majority were regulars. As a lad, I and my cousin Harry Ward would load rods & baskets in and out of the large boot. As a 21 yr old, I migrated to Melbourne, Australia (1964), where I've been proud to carry on the angling tradition, followed by my son, and his son. Wonderful memories. Thanks Sheffield Forum!!

Hi, Billy Clarkes was a competitor of the shop I started called Franks on Attercliffe Rd in 1955/6. See my earlier posting. I hope some of you my age can remember the shop. I would love to hear from you with any memories about the time and area. Stamfords was further along Attercliffe Rd and they didn't like the idea we had opened. Within a few months I was selling 60 gallons of maggots and feeders, what a difference now.

If my memory serves me right Bennets opened up on the back of winning the All England. The winnings were used to open up on West Bar. I went into the Forces on call up and lost touch with all that was going on in the tackle and fishing world then.

Charlie Abbott,

Ex Burngreave Rd and School

The name of the angler who won the All England was Jack Carr,

it was he and Peter Bennett started the business.

There was one at the bottom of Fitzwilliam St bottom of The Moor called

ERNEST JOWITT surrounded in 1942 onwards by bombed buildings

yonks ago,Roe,s at corner of victoria road at woodhouse west end.allus used to smell of cotton keep nets and landing nets,yer can,t buy that smell nowadays,priceless.

Thanks for that, can smell it now, yes priceless. My aunt took me into Clarkes shop off Spital Hill almost 60 yrs ago, I think it was Billy Clarkes brothers shop.I'm sure it was the smell of the maggots and nets that got me started.

Like all things, time moves on and internet shopping has taken its toll. It is to Billy Clarkes credit that he has moved with the times selling on the internet, but also having a very good shop staffed with lads who are both pleasant and helpfull. Long may the fishing shops continue.

I remember that Maurice Jacksons shop had a good many specimen fish in

glass cases it was quite a big shop for those days ,they would be worth a fortune now......My uncle George Dickinson had a tackle shop on Shalesmoor

Yes some great shops, anyone remember Ernie Wates on Woodseats, at the bottom of Scarsdale Road. Was a barbers and a tackle shop, he was a right character was Ernie. Bet there is not many shops where you can get a haircut and a pint of maggots.

I remember Ernie Waits shop quite well. I used to go there for a haircut when I was but a youngster. He had a big colour photograph of a nude woman on the wall - not a stitch on and a great pair of knockers. Probably the first time I'd ever seen a woman starkers.

There was a tackle shop on attercliffe called Stamfords if I'm not mistaken that was in the 60s

Anyone remember a small tackle shop at the bottom of Duke Street called

YEOMANS where a lad called Harry White helped out inside ?.

On 08/03/2013 at 17:25, D.O.N.E said:

Thanks for that, can smell it now, yes priceless. My aunt took me into Clarkes shop off Spital Hill almost 60 yrs ago, I think it was Billy Clarkes brothers shop.I'm sure it was the smell of the maggots and nets that got me started.

Like all things, time moves on and internet shopping has taken its toll. It is to Billy Clarkes credit that he has moved with the times selling on the internet, but also having a very good shop staffed with lads who are both pleasant and helpfull. Long may the fishing shops continue.