Any Motorcyclist from Shiregreen, Wincobank & Firth Park area 1960's

I am one of the Gaydon's originally from Foxglove Road opposite the corner shop called Mcnaughts went to Shiregreen junior & seniors in the late 50's & 60's.

I was then & still am a keen motorcyclist,

I Rode & Knocked around with Malc' Longford, Glen Beasley, Dougie Ottley, Derek Hill, Norman Hardwick, & others from around Firth Park & Wincobank,

My girlfriend at the time [1966/67] was Susan Marsh from Fife Street Wincobank... I would Love to hear from her now.

We use to meet at Wincobank on our motorcycles & ride to the "Coronation Café" on Langsett road & then later back to the Sportsman Pub at Blackburn meadows Wincobank...the M1 motorway was just beeing complete at that Wincobank Junction 1967....great days...I would love to turn back the clock.

Anyone else still around get intouch

Edited by Pussycat12
extra wording

Ron gaydon, had a card shop in firth pk.

Ron unfortunately now recently passed.

PS... not a Card shop though, a grocery shop, previous owner was Bensons

Edited by Pussycat12

Rode around firth park late 70s remember martin gayden dont think he had a bike

Martin is my Nephew my eldest brothers Son

Edited by Pussycat12

I rode with several lads in the early to mid sixties , all from the Firth park, Wincobank and Lane top area.

Fabulous times. As a group we often went into Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and North Yorkshire at the weekends.

The bowling alley was a good meeting place during the week for the odd game or a planned outing or other.

But, as happened to many m/cyclists cars replaced our bikes as the future wives came along.

One or two now long gone sadly, as well as one or two others who, tho not in our group but from the area .

Very happy days !

I rode with several lads in the early to mid sixties , all from the Firth park, Wincobank and Lane top area.

Fabulous times. As a group we often went into Lincolnshire, Nottinghamshire and North Yorkshire at the weekends.

The bowling alley was a good meeting place during the week for the odd game or a planned outing or other.

But, as happened to many m/cyclists cars replaced our bikes as the future wives came along.

One or two now long gone sadly, as well as one or two others who, tho not in our group but from the area .

Very happy days !

Thanks for reaching out, from your post its quite obviously we did not know each other...but yes sadly some of my mates are now not with us...I guess i am one of the lucky ones & now well retired from work I am still riding my motorcycles more than i ever did [ that is when it gets a bit warmer :roll:] I am still a teenager in the head & at heart I guess i will never grow up...LOVE IT

How true am 57 now been riding an xjr1300 for 3 years no.more sports bikes for gaz finally seen the light :thumbsup:

Might see you at Matlock in a month or so when the weather warms up a bit...:roll:

Edited by Pussycat12

:wink:

Might see you at CMC motocycles chesterfield or Matlock in a month or so when the weather warms up a bit...:roll:

I keep seeing a bunch of bikers on Saturday at Meadowhall Retail Park, even at this time of year.

Anyone know who they are?

Sorry for butting in off subject, but I wasn't old enough for a bike in the 60's :wink:

Thanks for reaching out, from your post its quite obviously we did not know each other...but yes sadly some of my mates are now not with us...I guess i am one of the lucky ones & now well retired from work I am still riding my motorcycles more than i ever did [ that is when it gets a bit warmer :roll:] I am still a teenager in the head & at heart I guess i will never grow up...LOVE IT

I am another m/cyclist from the 60s,last bike was a Triton,and as does happen ..in the 70s....marriage/family comes along....I stopped "biking" and never rode another till i retired.....early at 60 yrs young..in 2008...and bought another ..all Honda's ...a VT 600,VT750,GL1200 Goldwing,then a 1991 1500 Goldwing..8 years ago,which i still ride and also a VTX1800 which i have owned for over 4 years now.Both are ready for the coming summer and i will still be retracing old runs over to the east coast..Skeggy,Brid,Mablethorpe,Scarboro',etc as well as runs around the peak district.Go quite a few times to Willingham Woods and around the Lincs Wolds..excellent quiet roads.Good on yer for still doing what you like,far too many think older people should be curled up in front of the telly,am i reliving my youth?..not likely i'm just living my life..keep the shiny side up and ride safe..watch out for the cagers..:hihi::hihi::hihi:

I went in my car to saltfleet lastJune. Just outside Market Rasen there were loadsof guys with their bikes near 4he caf'e just outside the town.

From then on going over the wolds to Louth we were overtaken by quite a few of them.

Lovely to see them all enjoying the ride on a lovely sunny day, very evocative for me, made me feel like abandoning the car and hoping someone would let me ride pillion lol!.

As said I had a few hairy moments and came off twice in my four years biking but I was lucky. It never put me off at the time tho.

Edited by flightliner

Quote:-euclid

Skeggy,Brid,Mablethorpe,Scarboro',etc as well as runs around the peak district.Go quite a few times to Willingham Woods and around the Lincs Wolds..excellent quiet roads.Good on yer for still doing what you like.

Quote:- flightliner

Just outside Market Rasen there were loadsof guys with their bikes near 4he caf'e just outside the town.

From then on going over the wolds to Louth we were overtaken by quite a few of them.

Lovely to see them all enjoying the ride on a lovely sunny day

Yes we use to do these runs years ago, Skeggy almost every weekend fabulous !.... At that time I worked at Samuel Osborne's in the Wicker..2 shifts Monday To Friday 6am to 12 am morning shift & 1pm to 6pm afternoons, so Friday morning finishing at 12am lunch time a quick shower in the mess room & off to Skeggy for the week end, Monday morning we would set off back to get to work for the 1pm afternoon shift.. Great times.:thumbsup:

The trouble with the run to Willingham Woods is if you go via Bawtry there are the speed cameras or at least there use to be a few years back, but I have done a few charity rides from there, In the 60's that run out via Bawtry, Gainsborough , Market Raisen, Louth, to Skeggy, a brilliant ride.

Nowadays I actually vary my ride outs more than I did back then, more time on my hands now...:D Bring on the warmer weather...:help:

Edited by Pussycat12

I went in my car to saltfleet lastJune. Just outside Market Rasen there were loadsof guys with their bikes near 4he caf'e just outside the town.

Lovely to see them all enjoying the ride on a lovely sunny day,

The place just out outside M/Rasen where all the bikes gather is the large picnic/rest area at Willingham Woods,it's around 50 miles from where i live (S26) and i often go there in summer just for a burger...ride out...Also go over towards Saltfleet when i go to M/thorpe/ ...where the seal sanctuary is...and pop in to the "Ferryboat Inn" for a drink and something to eat ..excellent,quiet, pot hole free roads,lovely scenery,no speed humps...yes it is very enjoyable...:):)

Yes we use to do these runs years ago, Skeggy almost every weekend fabulous !.... At that time I worked at Samuel Osborne's in the Wicker..2 shifts Monday To Friday 6am to 12 am morning shift & 1pm to 6pm afternoons, so Friday morning finishing at 12am lunch time a quick shower in the mess room & off to Skeggy for the week end, Monday morning we would set off back to get to work for the 1pm afternoon shift.. Great times.:thumbsup:

The trouble with the run to Willingham Woods is if you go via Bawtry there are the speed cameras or at least there use to be a few years back, but I have done a few charity rides from there, In the 60's that run out via Bawtry, Gainsborough , Market Raisen, Louth, to Skeggy, a brilliant ride.

Nowadays I actually vary my ride outs more than I did back then, more time on my hands now...:D Bring on the warmer weather...:help:

I/We also used to go at w/ends to Skeggy /I/mells taking a tent with us,we used to camp where the eastgate site now is,at that time there were no caravans there it was just a campsite.I don't go thro' Bawtry i head towards Ranskill onto Mattersy etc,the average speed camera's start on the A631 near Gringley and end before you reach Gainsboro,but they don't bother me riding a cruiser,after that there are none up to the east coast.....when i go to Skeggy i go over Dunham bridge..toll free for bikes ...and return past Willingham..excellent ride out....ride safe..:D:D:D

Edited by euclid