Plans for 37 Storey tower to go on site of old NMB

I quite like the proposed design, and I'm not opposed to a 37 storey building. But I think it would be better suited somewhere round St Mary's Gate, as that's where a few high buildings have been erected in the last decade or so.

Perhaps it could have replaced this eyesore:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Moor+Market+ES6/@53.3739612,-1.4734651,3a,75y,325h,110.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxmBex_D40JO5qhWqGyu8BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487982871aed39dd:0x9c5ea6dc77db3e52!8m2!3d53.3742452!4d-1.4734943?hl=en

They are reasonable, they are not where you put your £3000/hr and upward keynote speakers. I've travelled a lot for work and even in places considerably smaller than Sheffield that are on the 'Conference' scene, there is a much better choice of high-end hotels available.

I think Sheffield decided long ago it didn't want to be part of the serious conference scene.

I quite like the proposed design, and I'm not opposed to a 37 storey building. But I think it would be better suited somewhere round St Mary's Gate, as that's where a few high buildings have been erected in the last decade or so.

Perhaps it could have replaced this eyesore:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Moor+Market+ES6/@53.3739612,-1.4734651,3a,75y,325h,110.2t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxmBex_D40JO5qhWqGyu8BA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!4m5!3m4!1s0x487982871aed39dd:0x9c5ea6dc77db3e52!8m2!3d53.3742452!4d-1.4734943?hl=en

I believe that building’s due to get a considerable facelift at some point

I have to use a profanity, I apologise in advance, so here goes ‘parking’, is any planned?

So hardly a big issue on the conference scene that Sheffield doesn't have a 5* hotel then.

Corporate and trade conferences are a different game, particularly internationally. The point I was making is broader though, ‘most other cities on the conference scene’ is synonymous for internationally relevant cities.

---------- Post added 25-03-2018 at 08:40 ----------

I think Sheffield decided long ago it didn't want to be part of the serious conference scene.

Not sure it was a conscious decision, but it does often feel like that.

We need more big buildings in Sheffield, its the one thing we lack when compared to other city's.

I believe that building’s due to get a considerable facelift at some point

Lots of work already done I think.

We need more big buildings in Sheffield, its the one thing we lack when compared to other city's.

Agreed. Sheffield is looking a lot more dense in recent times, but 3 or 4 more talls would really help it feel more like a big city. Sheffield has the perfect topography for making them stand out more too. It’s just a shame we don’t have a sky bar as yet but maybe one day.

Manchester already has this feel, Leeds not so to me as a lot of the larger buildings look cheap and already dated.

Birmingham .... meh, nothing about it appeals to me at all.

London is London. It has a half decent skyline but it has too many ‘centres’ and doesn’t look quite like many smaller worldwide cities where skyscrapers are more centrally located.

We’ll get there steadily, we just need to have a little more ambition.

Not a moan per-se, but I'm not sure 5-star hotel and student flats go together??

Unless Hallam Uni are getting into the residential property development business?

I would imagine they have thought about the flats and the hotel being as far apart as possible and maybe two separate entrances for them. After all you wouldn't want to come across a group of students after a night out entering into a 4/5* hotel with you. I think it could be great for the City, the first thing you will see on leaving the station. Remember the slogan from years ago, Sheffield a city on the move? Sheffield has stagnated over the years, yes we have the SIV's but things like Sevenstone have not materialised and Sheffield has lagged behind other cities. The council have had the little town syndrome, look how long it took Ikea to get permission to build their store. I am not advocating the city becomes full of high rise buildings, we need to keep our historic buildings but we also need to move forward. We need the council to employ someone with vision and ideas who can revitalise the city, not easy but maybe the council could ask the people of the city what we would like to see built here. Give the people of Sheffield a chance to give their views, set up a web page on the council site where people can give put their ideas of how to improve Sheffield.

Why are you assuming they are student flats???? There is no mention of student flats. The building will have a hotel and apartments...... ;)

The designs actually look really nice and will be an asset to that area of the city centre