Old HP Laserjet

Have you tried adding the printer manually in Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Add Printer?

If it doesn't find anything you may need to click "The printer I want isn't listed", select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings" and then select the port (probably something like USB001) and the printer model manually.

Have you tried adding the printer manually in Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Add Printer?

If it doesn't find anything you may need to click "The printer I want isn't listed", select "Add a local printer or network printer with manual settings" and then select the port (probably something like USB001) and the printer model manually.

I have HP LaserJet 5P -offline :HPL.. - copy 1 offline ... copy 2 ..offline ... copy 3 - not connected .. !! ??

Scan have a PCI parallel card for £6.49 - you'd be better off with something like that in my opinion. Once you've plugged the printer in, you'll probably never unplug it again.

Kudos on that printer still going by the way, I've not seen one for years.

Related: I've not covered myself in a cloud of toner from a leaky drum cartridge for years either.

On my W10 laptop Version 1709 Build 16299

Opening Device Manager, Under USB controllers there are four items listed

Connecting the USB/Parallel adaptor the list increases to six

the addtional two items are:

No printer attached

USB printing support

Dis-connecting the adaptor and the list decreases to four

Try the same procedure on your computer and see what happens.