Sign in to follow this  

Buying on a budget

Looking for my first house in Sheffield I have read through many of the useful posts on here and I have got an idea of some of the better less expensive areas. I am thinking particularly of Woodseats, Chapeltown, Sothall and similar.

Having looked through the property sites (I would highly recommend VEBRA.co.uk BTW if people havn't already used it) there aren't many houses in those areas for less than 80k. Is it now impossible to find a two bedroom house in reasonable condition within that sort of budget, unless you are willing to live in the worst areas of Sheffield?

Are there any other areas that people would suggest might be worth considering and are still a safe place to live? Also are the areas I suggested "ok" areas, there seem to be mixed opinions on all of them.

Hello, i have just bought a house in Hackenthorpe. Its an ex council house area, but really quiet and at the same end of town as the places you were considering.

We bought our 3 Bed semi a large garden for just over 80k, so i am sure you could get a nice 2 bed for less.

Good luck!

Thanks for that, hadn't really looked at Hackenthorpe but there seem to be some good value houses there.

Woodseats is a very nice area, but you'll not get a two bedroom terrace for less then 85k. Best you'll probably do is a 1 or 2 bed flat, which will cost you about £70k.