Tenants living with you for free in exchange for doing work

I'm just doing a bit of research here, for a start up company and wondered if this idea of having tenants for free living with you in exchange for them doing work e.g. gardening, cleaning etc. is appealing...and if not, what are your concerns associated with it.

Opening yourself up to claims of slavery and tax evasion. Take a rent and pay a wage.

yup totally agree ttparsons the taxman will have a field day, and there would be loads of complications including how long the job/stay will last, tenant falls ill or has an accident on your property, insurance, if its long term you may have a pension scenario and my main concern would just be a trust issue.

Would the 'tenant' be a tenant at all? If the 'landlord' resides, the 'tenant' would have no Housing Act 1988 rights and might be classed as only a lodger.

All very interesting points, will definitely take note. The main issue I definitely keep coming across is the trust issues due to the question of validity in terms of legal stuff etc. Thank you for feedback

It's a little like the same issues that arise on AirBNB lettings bbut with the added problem of L and T both being in residence.

OK if you make your start up a limited company - and you want the "lodgers" to live with you and do work for your company not you personally it could get complicated. You also need to work out if your tenants are service occupiers (required to live their for their job) or service tenants (could live elsewhere and do the job) Its probably not likely to cause a problem if you offer something like volunteers to help paint a house in return for a weeks free holiday accommodation . But its trickier if the accommodation is their main home. Whether you pay them or they work for free complicates evictions and sackings if it comes to that. Do get proper advice.

I do this using the workaway website. I stay with someone and work 4/5 hours a day, 5 days a week in return for board and lodgings for 7 days

For me its a cheap way of doing holidays, usually 5 weeks at a time, but some people do it for long spells. I know a person in Sheffield who has people come and stay with her, shes had her garden and decorating sorted in this way.

I've travelled Italy and Canada in this way. Saved me a lot of money on accommodation and I met some great people. I've got friends all over the world thanks to this.

Maybe have a look..

http://www.workaway.info