Is the age of chivalry dead?

I blame those who, in the recent past, have said that no-one is allowed to control children, therefore creating a generation that think they are untouchable and beyond criticism.

So a government that preaches ruthless indivualism can’t possibly have any impact on peoples’ attitudes and respect for each other?

Ok...........:|

Well if folk like you are that easily swayed, then yes.

Unfortunately, there are people that are that easily swayed.

There is nothing wrong with common courtesy and manners. They are the grease that lubricates our social interactions with strangers so we don't kill each other over something stupid. Oh wait. That already happens...

Anyone, who acts offended that you offered a seat, or opened a door? Is RUDE, and was obviously raised wrong. And I wouldn't waste two seconds of my time worrying about it. In other words, get over it and be glad you don't have to have dinner with them tonight. :thumbsup:

Also, from a female perspective, any man who does the "women wanted equality now they got it" bs while they warm a seat, or let a door slam in a girl's face, or watch some woman struggling with heavy packages looks like a spiteful little starts with "b" and ends with "h". Don't use that as a passive aggressive excuse to be rude.

But what do I know? I'm over 40 and an old married lady and came of age before the time everyone walked around looking down at a little screen.

Edited by Sierra

Swayed by what. I see this every week on public transport and it’s getting worse.

I am almost 62, always opened doors for people, male or female, always called people luv, male or female, would always give my seat up to people who need it more than me, male or female. Nothing to do with chivalry, just who you are.

What exactly is dog-eat-dog here????

Women have been demanding equality for years and years. Now they got it.

Putting the whole obvious and correct elderly and disabled scenarios aside, the bottom line is, those men have have just as much entitlement to use a seat as a woman. In this age of equality why should there still be some unwritten social code that they should give it up just because someone is female?

“**** you jack I’m alright!!”?

“**** you jack I’m alright!!”?

Good point. I just think there might be a time I need that seat and hope somebody whatever gender offers it to me.

Good point. I just think there might be a time I need that seat and hope somebody whatever gender offers it to me.

Good luck. It doesn’t seem to happen as often as it used to. Many people are utterly inconsiderate. It isn’t just about giving up a seat. It’s stuff like spreading themselves across more than one seat and refusing to budge over a bit when you sit next to them. Stuff like leaving their bag on the seat next to them when people are standing and getting upset if you ask them to move their bag.

Good luck. It doesn’t seem to happen as often as it used to. Many people are utterly inconsiderate. It isn’t just about giving up a seat. It’s stuff like spreading themselves across more than one seat and refusing to budge over a bit when you sit next to them. Stuff like leaving their bag on the seat next to them when people are standing and getting upset if you ask them to move their bag.

It doesn't stop me doing my bit and I hope I have brought mi kids up to do the same.

Guest makapaka
Why not? The Tories have been promoting dog-eat-dog individualism, ruthless competition and the supremacy of private profit for nearly forty years.

I was brought up at the height of Thatchers rule and myself and others who were my age at the time were always told to stand up on buses etc.

We had a labour government for 13 years which only ended 8 years ago.

Let’s not pretend Cameron and May have influenced the youth since 2010.

Many people are utterly inconsiderate. It isn’t just about giving up a seat. It’s stuff like spreading themselves across more than one seat and refusing to budge over a bit when you sit next to them. Stuff like leaving their bag on the seat next to them when people are standing and getting upset if you ask them to move their bag.

Exactly. Other people don't exist outside of their little bubbles, and therefore have no right to inconvenience them.

I rarely have to visit a brick and mortar bank, but did recently. After I handed the teller my already filled out deposit slip and endorsed check, she thanked me for having everything filled out. I was astonished to learn that people like me are rare. Most expect the teller to fill out their paperwork! What the heck, she's not their mother!

It's just consideration to have everything ready so as not to hold up the line. That's what I was taught, anyway.