Is the age of chivalry dead?

Two different issues here, I'd give up my seat without a second thought to someone disabled or injured who needed it.

I wouldn't give it up to someone just because they have different reproductive organs to me.

Totally agree with all of that.

However, the issue purported in the original post appears to be whether someone should change their actions JUST because someone happens to be female.

Elderly persons, disabled persons, pregnancy, people with children etc all of course have exceptions which quite rightly should be adhered to. But lets focus back on a key point which seemingly is overlooked.

If a perfectly healthy younger man is seated on a train before a perfectly healthy younger female boards, why is there some unwritten social code that they should give up their seat JUST because the other passenger is a woman?

Why should that male be seemingly criticised for not doing so?

Why, if everyone is now supposed to be treated equally, does such a social behaviour still exisit on the single ground of being female?

Does that not portray a vision that women have to be treated differently to men and thus undermine the whole principle of equality that is being fought?

Doesn't that portray an image that a woman is somehow weaker and needs special treatment over and above that of a man?

I am not being a jerk here but this is an interesting point which shows to me a massive contradition in a societies' behaviour and dilemma that we are seemingly facing.

Courtesy, politeness and respect should be to everyone - regardless of gender surely.

This. I absolutely don't understand why being of the female gender makes me more entitled to a seat on public transport? What qualities do I have (or lack) that means I need to sit down more than someone of the male gender?

Totally agree with your last sentence!

Two different issues here, I'd give up my seat without a second thought to someone disabled or injured who needed it.

I wouldn't give it up to someone just because they have different reproductive organs to me.

And why should you?! As you say, seating should be down to need, not gender...

No wonder the world is in <removed>. No one has to give there seat up or infact hold a door open for someone . Ill educate you ignorant planks, its called having good manners. Courtisy (spelling) and above all being a Gentle man. Personal pride makes a Gentlemen if you aint got that theres no hope and Karma will have its way. Explanation WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. Youll soon be aware its happening when your going through a door and your hands are full, shopping ect, and someone lets it slam in your faces. :hihi:

No wonder the world is in <removed>. No one has to give there seat up or infact hold a door open for someone . Ill educate you ignorant planks, its called having good manners. Courtisy (spelling) and above all being a Gentle man. Personal pride makes a Gentlemen if you aint got that theres no hope and Karma will have its way. Explanation WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND. Youll soon be aware its happening when your going through a door and your hands are full, shopping ect, and someone lets it slam in your faces. :hihi:

The only ignorant plank is you. Nobody is saying don't be courteous. They're just saying don't be courteous to someone just because they've got a vagina.

The only ignorant plank is you. Nobody is saying don't be courteous. They're just saying don't be courteous to someone just because they've got a vagina.

Spoken like a True Chauvenist. I will always give my seat up for a lady maybe one day when Im in need of a seat a lady will give her seat up for me. :roll:

One word folks, its called etiquette, simple as that.

Spoken like a True Chauvenist. I will always give my seat up for a lady maybe one day when Im in need of a seat a lady will give her seat up for me. :roll:

No, you're still being an ignorant plank.

Explain why you think not being courteous to someone just because they've got a vagina makes me a "True Chauvenist". Do you think I shouldn't be courteous to men as well?

But why would she, in your view of things? Can a lady be a "Gentleman", in which apparently one of the requirements is giving a seat to a member of the opposite gender?

If a lady gives you her seat because you're in need that's one thing, but why does someone being female make them in need of a seat? That's the point people are trying to make...

I find the idea of giving up your seat for a women bizarre and archaic. Why on earth would a women be less able to stand than a man? I'd instantly give up my seat for anyone who I thought needed it more than I regardless of their gender.

Well I for one am glad I have been brought up the way my parents taught me.

Once the crutches have gone I will still be giving up my seat to a female should she require it.

Well I for one am glad I have been brought up the way my parents taught me.

Once the crutches have gone I will still be giving up my seat to a female should she require it.

But why? Do you think women are less able to stand than men? It's actually a quite insulting attitude to have towards women rather than being courteous.

But why? Do you think women are less able to stand than men? It's actually a quite insulting attitude to have towards women rather than being courteous.

But you might faint (I think swoon is the correct term) if you stand on a moving vehicle. Certainly if you're wearing a corset.