Where can you fly a drone in Sheffield?

I digress, but whilst walking my dog in Longshaw a guy flying a drone landed it on the path, it must have looked just like a frisbee to Ellie, who charged towards it, luckily he saw her coming and rescued his toy, no harm done. :hihi:

I assume it was one of the kind that looks a bit like the star trek spacecraft, they do indeed look like a frisbee.

But a little bit of advice from a quadcopter flyer AND Dog owner. Please be aware if it's a quadcopter that lands, the props can do severe damage to our dogs unless the props are stationary. I speak from expirience of getting hit by rotating props, they inflict nasty cuts even though they are plastic.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 26-03-2018 at 18:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post

Go google.

Ignorance is no defence.

Googled and still no wiser. Please supply link.

Still waiting for the link cgksheff.

Angel1.

Edited by ANGELFIRE1

Two guys were flying one in Longshaw this morning, not a suggestion or a recommendation, just a fact.

DRONE’S don’t own one only army got them...aircrafts don’t own one of them can’t afford one so I got a glider (toy) and I fly where I want never been stopped..it’s a hobby

I'm with that man......i fly allover but i use COMMON SENSE to make sure i don't fly were i could put anything or anyone in danger.

On 3/18/2018 at 6:35 PM, cgksheff said:

It's not a question of how they stop you.

It is against the law.

Which law exactly?

On 3/26/2018 at 6:42 PM, ANGELFIRE1 said:

I assume it was one of the kind that looks a bit like the star trek spacecraft, they do indeed look like a frisbee.

But a little bit of advice from a quadcopter flyer AND Dog owner. Please be aware if it's a quadcopter that lands, the props can do severe damage to our dogs unless the props are stationary. I speak from expirience of getting hit by rotating props, they inflict nasty cuts even though they are plastic.

Angel1.

---------- Post added 26-03-2018 at 18:45 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgksheff View Post

Go google.

Ignorance is no defence.

Googled and still no wiser. Please supply link.

Still waiting for the link cgksheff.

Angel1.

Law specifically applying to drones under 20kg, introduced in June 2018:

not above 150m AGL, and not within 1000m of an airport perimiter.

That's it as it applies specifically to any radio control aircraft.

That height limit will probably stay the same, but the exclusion zone around airports will be extended post-gatwick. Most consumer drones (i.e DJI drones) are effectively geofenced already, and  several limited to 500m AGL.

Air Navigation Order as relates to Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUAs):
ART.94

(1) A person must not cause or permit any article or animal (whether or not attached to a parachute) to be dropped from a small unmanned aircraft so as to endanger persons or property.

(2) The remote pilot of a small unmanned aircraft may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made.

(3) The remote pilot of a small unmanned aircraft must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft sufficient to monitor its flight path in relation to other aircraft, persons, vehicles, vessels and structures for the purpose of avoiding collisions.

(4) If a small unmanned aircraft has a mass of more than 7kg excluding its fuel but including any articles or equipment installed in or attached to the aircraft at the commencement of its flight, the SUA operator must not cause or permit the aircraft to be flown, and the remote pilot in charge of the aircraft must not fly it-

(a) in Class A, C, D or E airspace unless the permission of the appropriate air traffic control unit has been obtained; or

(b) within an aerodrome traffic zone during the notified hours of watch of the air traffic control unit (if any) at that aerodrome unless the permission of any such air traffic control unit has been obtained; 

(4A) Paragraph (4) does not apply to any flight within the flight restriction zone of a protected aerodrome (within the meaning given in article 94B).

(5) The SUA operator must not cause or permit a small unmanned aircraft to be flown for the purposes of commercial operations, and the remote pilot of a small unmanned aircraft must not fly it for the purposes of commercial operations, except in accordance with a permission granted by the CAA.

ART.95

1) The SUA operator must not cause or permit a small unmanned surveillance aircraft to be flown in any of the circumstances described in paragraph (2), and the remote pilot of a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not fly it in any of those circumstances, except in accordance with a permission issued by the CAA.

(2) The circumstances referred to in paragraph (1) are-

(a) over or within 150 metres of any congested area;

(b) over or within 150 metres of an organised open-air assembly of more than 1,000 persons;

(c) within 50 metres of any vessel, vehicle or structure which is not under the control of the SUA operator or the remote pilot of the aircraft; or

(d) subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), within 50 metres of any person.

(3) Subject to paragraph (4), during take-off or landing, a small unmanned surveillance aircraft must not be flown within 30 metres of any person.

(4) Paragraphs (2)(d) and (3) do not apply to the remote pilot of the small unmanned surveillance aircraft or a person under the control of the remote pilot of the aircraft.

(5) In this article, “a small unmanned surveillance aircraft” means a small unmanned aircraft which is equipped to undertake any form of surveillance or data acquisition.

It's a bit dry, but that's all the law I can find, as it currently stands.

The PDPA and NT can "ban drones" on their land, but I don't think breaking that ban is, in and of itself, a crime.

IANAL!

Further to all that, SUAs are defined as unmanned aircraft in the 250g - 20,000g mass range.

Given that my quadcopter, in 2019, weighs in at 300g, next year's smallest camera drones are likely to slim down a bit to get under that 250g qualification.

I tend to fly at the field by the sportsman when trying stuff out, improving my flight skills, or testing new software. But I've flown around Ox Stones and Ringinglow quite a bit.

Having said all the above, and even with the new powers being proposed (including mandatory registration for all 250g+ drones after this November) most infractions will result in a fixed penalty. Exceeding the height limit or flying over an airport, however, carries a maximum penalty of a 5 year prison sentence.

Haven't flown mine in quite a while now, but previously I've flown them on the street outside my house (50g drone, no more than 20m from me), at bole hills park, at redmires reservoir, at stanage edge and on wadsley common.

I also used one of them to video my own roof to check the tiles that I couldn't see for any damage.

Oh, also the recreation ground in North Anston, lost that one there as the wind got it, landed in long grass several hundred metres away and couldn't find it 😞  A lesson learned.

Oh, also above high bradfield just off one of the local paths in a field with no livestock, and also the reclaimed pit waste heap in Dinnington, where my parents dog did his best to catch it (he didn't quite manage it).

Online competency test and compulsory drone registration were both slated long before Gatwick happened.

What about places like Wincobank Hill or Parkwood Springs ? Maybe council owned but not public parks.

On 3/16/2018 at 4:27 PM, Frets said:

We're is it safe to fly a drone is there any groups that meet up in the sheffield area thanks

Dunno about Sheffield, but I hear there are a couple of good places down London for doing so 😉