Yes or no 2lanes or one

on the roundabouts outside morrisons at halfway and the one at aldi as you come up from peaks there are 2 lanes just before ,but if you try and use them on the outside the ones on the inside either blast horn or try to block you filtering in as if to say your not getting past me so whats the point of the 2 lanes if somebody comes past me I just let them in but I did one yesterday at aldi and the man on the inside didn't like it at all so who's right?

A lot of drivers are morons. The lanes are there for a reason to keep traffic flowing

That one frustrates me too. I suppose if there is a queue going into Morrrsons, then traffic going straight or right can still move....I just make my car wider!

The point of the lanes is to merge in turn. Not rocket science. A lot of drivers all sit in the left hand lane then get annoyed when cars vome whizzing past

The point of the lanes is to merge in turn. Not rocket science. A lot of drivers all sit in the left hand lane then get annoyed when cars vome whizzing past

Coisley Hill is a great example of this, in both directions. Two lanes going towards Sheffield Parkway which then change into one. Same going the other way. Rush hour in a morning and the left hand lane is queuing whereas the outside lane is often virtually clear. So many times I see vehicles (usually big vans) positioning themselves over two lanes to stop anyone 'queue jumping', as well as other vehicles making sure there's only a couple of inches between them and the car in front so no-one's getting in front of them! This also happens when both lanes are queuing back to the same place! Last time I checked the Highway Code, using any lane on a road was perfectly legitimate. Having merge in turn signs on this stretch would alleviate potential road rage however I've seen many discussions here on SF saying that this is not going to happen.

A lot of drivers are morons. The lanes are there for a reason to keep traffic flowing

This!

And deliberately blocking lanes is not only illegal it's also downright stupid

I don't generally have a problem with the 2 lanes to 1 scenario if I am queuing and somebody comes along in the right hand lane and needs to be let in. It's the bell ends who try to overtake at that key moment of lanes merging when traffic is in full flow. Even more so the idiot who does it by speeding through in the left hand lane.

Coisley Hill is a great example of this, in both directions. Two lanes going towards Sheffield Parkway which then change into one. Same going the other way. Rush hour in a morning and the left hand lane is queuing whereas the outside lane is often virtually clear. So many times I see vehicles (usually big vans) positioning themselves over two lanes to stop anyone 'queue jumping', as well as other vehicles making sure there's only a couple of inches between them and the car in front so no-one's getting in front of them! This also happens when both lanes are queuing back to the same place! Last time I checked the Highway Code, using any lane on a road was perfectly legitimate. Having merge in turn signs on this stretch would alleviate potential road rage however I've seen many discussions here on SF saying that this is not going to happen.

It's surprising how many people are adamant that you're all supposed form one gigantic queue in the left and that anyone using the right lane is queue jumping. There's been several threads covering the A57 Coisley Hill stretch, one example here

Billions has been spent on adding lanes to cope with the continuing massive increases in traffic.

Problem is lack of education of drivers who don't know how to correctly drive on modern multi-lane roads; for example middle lane drivers and people who don't understand how to merge correctly.

---------- Post added 21-03-2018 at 20:01 ----------

Good article on the subject

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/driving-advice/zip-merging/