Britain First banned by Facebook

Government pressuring social media to take down hate speech seems entirely fine to me. It's illegal, it's divisive and there is no need to provide a platform for it.

Take off the tin helmet, this isnt about social media control, its about a group of hateful individuals who have spent the last few years steadily growing in influence peddling hate (race hate) they are EXACTLY the same as the islamic extremists, who have been banned, locked up, "censored" as much as we can for years.

My Bold

Yeah I remember when BF murdered those people on Westminster bridge, London bridge and the Manchester Arena.

Oh, wait....

As for BF being banned from FB.

I dont agree with much of what they stand for but I defend their right to say it.

Edited by Dimple

My Bold

Yeah I remember when BF murdered those people on Westminster bridge, London bridge and the Manchester Arena.

Oh, wait....

I dont agree with much of what they stand for but I defend their right to say.

oh come on, they have the exact same motives for their hate speech, anger others, make others do things.

Weve seen it with Hooky, he didnt go round killing people he convinced others to do it, Britain first are exactly the same.

There also has been an increase in right wing extremists attacks too (i know youll deny it but whatever)

It’s a pity they are banned. I used to have such fun visiting their site and winding them up!

oh come on, they have the exact same motives for their hate speech, anger others, make others do things.

And blow people up?

Chop people up?

Run trucks into crowds?

BF and islam really are not the same thing and I suspect deep down you know this to be true.

And blow people up?

Chop people up?

Run trucks into crowds?

BF and islam really are not the same thing and I suspect deep down you know this to be true.

:roll:

you know EXACTLY what i mean, playing dumb yet again

No they’re completely different.

One’s banned from Facebook, and one isn’t :)

Take off the tin helmet, this isnt about social media control,

I provided evidence to support my opinion, which is pretty much the opposite of tin foil hattery, I'd have thought.

Got to disagree about the social media control, because imo that is exactly the aim of western politicians.

Try this one, for starters.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/19/mps-press-social-media-firms-over-failure-to-take-down-hate-speech

There is co-ordinated pressure in the western world to control social media.

In America.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/dec/19/mps-press-social-media-firms-over-failure-to-take-down-hate-speech

In Sweden.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/google-under-fire-for-anti-semitic-search-results-in-sweden/

In Germany.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jun/30/germany-approves-plans-to-fine-social-media-firms-up-to-50m

Look, there is literally tons of this stuff happening. It is a battle for influence.

Mainstream politicians and the mainstream media both do not have the control and the influence that they used to have. Politicians especially want that control and influence back. This means trying to control what's available on line on Facebook, on Youtube and on Twitter.

My kids (late twenties and thirty) rarely buy a newspaper and never watch TV news, the traditional sources of how people are influenced. They get their news from the web. Which up to press is allowing a far greater variety of views than the UK media.

Given all that I think that this is just the start. In the future sites like the relentlessly anti-immigrant and anti-Islam Breitbart will certainly be closed down (or try to be closed down). After that maybe even sites like Spiked or Guido Fawkes.

We'll see. But to just think that this sanction is just being applied against one group in one country is wrong, and the idea that it will stop there is equally wrong.

I agree with the idea of what you are saying, that we do indeed need to be careful that people are not censored just for saying things others do not agree with, but there must always be a line. And it appears that Britain First have crossed that line. Inciting hatred is a crime in the UK and therefore people who are posting things that are likely to incite others to commit violence should not be allowed to air those views without consequences.

I think in this case this is the right action, and I would happily support similar action being taken by extreme left wing groups if they also encouraged violence in a similar way. I can't think of any that do, perhaps PETA?

Government pressuring social media to take down hate speech seems entirely fine to me. It's illegal, it's divisive and there is no need to provide a platform for it.

But who defines what hate speech is? Politicians.

It's divisive (my bold). Now that's interesting. Because stories like the Telford grooming scandal are divisive too, wouldn't you say? Should reporting on them be banned too? Would you support that in the name of "community cohesion"?

That seems to have been the decision of the BBC and Sky, there's been barely a peep out of them about it.

---------- Post added 14-03-2018 at 17:02 ----------

I agree with the idea of what you are saying, that we do indeed need to be careful that people are not censored just for saying things others do not agree with, but there must always be a line. And it appears that Britain First have crossed that line. Inciting hatred is a crime in the UK and therefore people who are posting things that are likely to incite others to commit violence should not be allowed to air those views without consequences.

Thanks for that.

But can the truth incite violence? And if it can, should the truth be suppressed and is it right to do so?

I know it's a tricky subject.

My Bold

Oh, wait....

I dont agree with much of what they stand for but I defend their right to say it.

You sound butt hurt that BF have been banned from Facebook, aww diddums! :hihi:

I'm glad they've lost their platform to spread lies, mistrust and promote hate.

They have a great deal in common with the Islamic extremism they pretend to oppose.

---------- Post added 14-03-2018 at 17:40 ----------

Would you also defend ISIS's right to have a Facebook page and defend their right to say what they want - or do you have a double standard going on?