Russian Chemical Weapon attack in Salisbury

I can't see what the motive would be for the Russian state to go for such a mean man.

I guess the same reason that the IRA would execute informers 10-15 years after they had been spirited away and given a new identity.

Not to punish the person themselves but to warn others that they would always have to be looking over their shoulder.

I can't see what the motive would be for the Russian state to go for such a mean man.

If he was the only one, I'd agree. But haven't there been numerous mystery deaths worldwide?

Sergei Skripal and the 14 deaths under scrutiny

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43299598

Under Russian Terror, All Exiles Are Fearful and All Deaths Are Suspicious

https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/under-russian-terror-all-exiles-are-fearful-and-all-deaths-are-suspicious

Apparently they were just harmless tourists visiting the Cathedral.

Yeah right.

Well the two men have come forward, and been interviewed on Russia Today. Their names are their real names apparently, and they say they are bemused and alarmed to have been singled out in this way.

I must say in the CCTV footage of them in Salisbury they do seem remarkably relaxed and cheerful to say they've supposedly just been handling a lethal nerve agent without any protective clothing.

I must say in the CCTV footage of them in Salisbury they do seem remarkably relaxed and cheerful to say they've supposedly just been handling a lethal nerve agent without any protective clothing.

The Novichok was sealed in a perfume spray bottle and I assume that they used gloves while handling it.

That struck me as a very Soviet era interview with very little attempt to make their stories look credible on the assumption that as it was the government saying this, it would be automatically believed.

It is interesting that these crude propagandists were so able to easily fool so many US and UK citizens over the Brexit and Trump elections.

Edited by Top Cats Hat

Apparently they were just harmless tourists visiting the Cathedral.

Yeah right.

They must have liked the Cathedral a lot because they travelled to Salisbury twice from London during their short visit to England. The Skripal's house must be on the route to the Cathedral from the train station.

I fail to see why Salisbury is being denigrated as a tourist town. It's a nice medieval market town, with a beautiful Cathedral, close to Stonehenge and not far from London.

Definitely a tourist destination. Why wouldn't you?

Well the two men have come forward, and been interviewed on Russia Today. Their names are their real names apparently, and they say they are bemused and alarmed to have been singled out in this way.

What are you suggesting?

The interview is absolutely laughable, it would have been much better to just keep quiet than concoct this ridiculous story.

They travelled to Salisbury twice because the first time was to ‘check a timetable’ - because that makes total sense! If they went to Salisbury to see the cathedral, why did they go via the Skripal’s house, which is nowhere on route (CCTV has captured them near the Skripal house).

The interview is absolutely laughable, it would have been much better to just keep quiet than concoct this ridiculous story.

I suspect that as it was announced in an interview with Putin on Russian television, the interview was primarily for domestic consumption.