Sign in to follow this  

Snooker

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the Snooker World Championships since it's a famous annual Sheffield event. Who does everyone want to win? I always hope Jimmy White will do well because he's had so much bad luck over the years, but now he's out I'd like Stephen Lee to win.

because its boring sorry but it iz and they took 24 off 4 it :x

I always want Jimmy to win but seems he is destined not to win. I like would have liked John Higgins to win also but he is now out also. Shame about Ebdon as well, nobody as ever regained the title the next year after first winning it.

Snooker has certainly lost it's appeal in recent years, it's popularity boomed in the 80s and the presence of the World Championships at the Crucible made it a hot topic in Sheffield whenever it was on. Maybe TV saturation has put people off, or is it the lack of characters - it rarely excites these days !

Originally posted by "Michael_W"

Snooker has certainly lost it's appeal in recent years, it's popularity boomed in the 80s and the presence of the World Championships at the Crucible made it a hot topic in Sheffield whenever it was on. Maybe TV saturation has put people off, or is it the lack of characters - it rarely excites these days !

Well, it always manages to sell out, but that is perhaps down to the coperate climate. There isn't many character as there used to be but I feel that the standard of play is much higher. The ratings will never be like they was back in the 80's when some 18 million + watched Taylow beat Davis but then there was no Sky TV, no Sunday trading etc.

I really enjoy watching the world championship snooker. Liek Wimbledon it keeps my interest for just long enough. I think there are some realy characters out there but they just aren't doing so well at the moment. Ken Doherty has impressed me an awful lot. I would have cracked under the pressure he's been facing since he played Graham Dot, but Ken just keeps going.

I think though that Mark Williams and Stephen Lee are really bad for Snooker. Sure they play the game really well, but they always look so bloody miserable.

Originally posted by "richard"

I really enjoy watching the world championship snooker. Liek Wimbledon it keeps my interest for just long enough. I think there are some realy characters out there but they just aren't doing so well at the moment. Ken Doherty has impressed me an awful lot. I would have cracked under the pressure he's been facing since he played Graham Dot, but Ken just keeps going.

I think though that Mark Williams and Stephen Lee are really bad for Snooker. Sure they play the game really well, but they always look so bloody miserable.

Being a crowd favourite doesn't always bring home the bacon though, does it. Look at Ronnie O'Sullivan, my personal favourite, out in the first round, And Jimmy White, probably the most loved player in Snooker history, never won the Embassy World Championship. The 'bloody miserable' players you refer to are focused on the game and seem to do better in competition without having to play up to the crowd.

I don't really mind who wins tonight as long as it's an exciting final. Ken Doherty was driven past me yesterday, so I think I root for him. It's getting close at the moment - Williams hasn't won a frame yet today and Doherty has clawed his way back up to 11-10.

Typical. As soon as I say Mark Williams is miserable he starts making jokes in the final. It's a conspircy I tell ya!