Anyone been to Northern Cyprus?

There is a thread about this but it is 7 years old, been looking at going for a holiday but the big companies don't go there, has anyone been and what was it like?

I went quite some time ago, off season (Nov I think) did my dive training, explored the place, we landed in the South and hired a car.

It was still sunbathing hot, nice place, cheap food, interesting old castles, etc...

Jane and I went on an organised walking holiday with Explore a small few years ago, and then stayed on for a further week independently. We didn't bother hiring a car, and got by OK using public transport, though I may not suit everyone.

Loved the place ourselves, and also appreciable cheaper than the south.

I don't know if it's still the case, but then, you could only fly into the North via Istanbul, where we stopped over for a few nights on the way out.

I don't know if it's still the case, but then, you could only fly into the North via Istanbul, where we stopped over for a few nights on the way out.

I think it is still a stopover in Istanbul because all the Turkish airline flights to Ercan have one stop. I don't think it is much of a delay if flying to Larnaca and going from there. I have seen a video on Youtube and the mountains and coast looks stunning.

Edited by iansheff

Watch out for the Russian and London gangsters who have moved to that illegal state so as to avoid arrest and prison in their own Country.

Watch out for the Russian and London gangsters who have moved to that illegal state so as to avoid arrest and prison in their own Country.

How will you identify one of them when "looking out" and what should you do once you've identified them?

One thing I could have mentioned in my earlier post, I ran whilst I was there (in the evenings when it was cooler), but that wasn't much fun as many properties have aggressive dogs who aren't secured, I was literally chased down the road several times!

There is a thread about this but it is 7 years old, been looking at going for a holiday but the big companies don't go there, has anyone been and what was it like?

The place is very beautiful and due to lack of funding by Turkey is still in it’s original natural form since early 70’s. The development of the North part of Cyprus is quite slow thus food, stuff and hotels are a lot cheaper. People are a bit undeveloped too compared to South but the place is really nice.

On a side note, Flight companies don’t fly there because the Northern part of Cyprus is illegally under Turkish control since 1974 (Turkey invated and occupied part of the island). Due to this no other countries recognise this part of the island as a legal land and thus it is illlegal to fly directly to that part of the island under human rights law. That’s why to get there you have to go through Turkey as is the only country (plus 1-2 more, friends of turkey who don’t mind not complying with human law) who recognises that part. Another option is to fly to South Cyprus and then cross the border to the North of the island if you want by showing your passport on the border.

Yes I went there twice a few years ago and really liked it . It was not packed with other tourists seeing as only British go there mostly I dont know if its the same now . The main harbour in Kyrenia is beautiful with its Castle . The food is great people friendly and unless its changed it unspoilt .