Morrisons garage Hillsborough

Maybe people want to put their cards, receipts away etc.

Move away from the pumps then stop somewhere else where you're not inconveniencing anybody else...... then you can take all the time you need. Simple.

I manage to do that in the shop or walking back to the car. :D

I manage to do that in the shop or walking back to the car. :D

Not everyone is the same as us.

Back on topic, is it still the case that most petrol stations only make 1p a litre on fuel and make most of their profit on the crap they sell in the shop?

In that case there is no economic argument for sacking off staff and only selling fuel via pay at the pump.

If this thread is becoming a petrol station moanfest, may I ask why people take so long to drive off after paying for their fuel when someone is waiting behind them to use the pump?

When I've done, I get into my car, put the key in the ignition, start the engine, stick it in gear, check my mirrors then drive away. It takes no more than 10 seconds max.

Why do some people struggle to do this in under a minute?

Because they have been off their phone for a minute and need to re connect Bluetooth,check for text messages,reply immediately and stick their earpieces back in.

P.S.I forgot about reprogramming Sat Nav for getting home

Because they have been off their phone for a minute and need to re connect Bluetooth,check for text messages,reply immediately and stick their earpieces back in.

Can't they do that while they're driving. Everyone else seems to! ;)

Back on topic, is it still the case that most petrol stations only make 1p a litre on fuel and make most of their profit on the crap they sell in the shop?

In that case there is no economic argument for sacking off staff and only selling fuel via pay at the pump.

The actual price that makes up petrol is about 80/85% tax, then there is transport cost, the retailers make peanuts on it

Can't they do that while they're driving. Everyone else seems to! ;)

That’s true.

Pay at pump will only dispense once you've put your card in and 'paid'.

So there's no danger of someone filling up and doing a drive-off, they make a tiny amount per transaction but don't have to worry about theft.

You do not have to pay by card: the pumps on aisle 1 certainly do not force you to. "Press button to pay at kiosk" it says on the screen...

Thank you, I must have gone to the wrong pump because I wasn't given a choice, unless you put your card in then no petrol would be released.

They didn't enlighten on this at the desk either when I asked, they just said you had to pay by card.

Every time we went it was blatantly obvious that a lot of customers preferred to go into the shop to pay for their fuel as that queue was far and away longer than the p@p lanes. I know a fair few friends and family who have chosen to buy their fuel in other petrol stations due to Morrisons lack of choice on how to pay...most of whom have also changed supermarket as they buy their fuel at the same time as doing their weekly groceries.