Cant just be me who is leaving it a bit late? Is everyone else up to code and found it easy or have you palmed it off onto someone else?

Ive had a brief look round but dont seem to be able to find many companies who can assist. The normally reliable FSB just have a bunch of PDFs available and not much else and the ICO seem to heavy on jargon and light on advice.

There are loads of companies trying to offer help. Ironically I keep getting spammed by them. I direct them straight to junk mail.

There are lots of training courses out there at the moment, perhaps have a look on Eventbrite website or it you are a member of a local chamber of commerce they will likely have something happening.

Hope that helps.

Business Sheffield are running another FREE 2 hour GDPR compliance workshop (the first one was booked solid) at the Workstation on 24th April. If you want to come along call 0114 224 5000 to book your place

The Information Commissioner's blog is also worth an occasional read. For many businesses it is a simple evolution of what they do already.

I’m late to the party too (was appointed Data Protection Officer on Friday!). I’ve looked for local courses which seem to be in the £hundreds, but did come across a free online course to give the basics. It starts 7th May. I’ll check the details and post them on Monday if it would be of interest.

Once you get into it, a lot of it is common sense and giving a bit of thought on what you do with people's information. Oh, and paying THE MAN.

Once you get into it, a lot of it is common sense and giving a bit of thought on what you do with people's information. Oh, and paying THE MAN.

THere needn't be any cost, depends on your business.

For us it's mostly making formal information security arrangements, which are pretty much the same as we do things now.

It's a major issue for direct marketers of course.

(sound of a very, very small violin)

More about the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation):

ICO Guide https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations...gulation-gdpr/

GDPR itself: see first external link mentioned in the Guide.

But here's some of the GDPR 'guidance' that I read:

The first step is auditing the information held by your firm. Data mapping in this way (by documenting the data you hold, where it came from and who you share it with) should enable you to carry out a gap analysis to determine the key technical and organisational measures (internal governance and controls) you need to take to comply with your responsibilities for the data you process. The GDPR’s accountability requirement means that you should then take these measures and be able to demonstrate that you have done so (see Article 24).

Let’s write that in English, shall we? Try this instead:

Your firm should:

a. assess the data held, its sources, and with whom it is shared;

b. decide what it needs to do in complying with the GDPR; and

c. ensure that it can prove compliance.

People are welcome to have a copy of my GDPR Data Protection Policy, free of charge, and in an editable Word format so they can amend it to suit their own business.