Man sentenced to life for brutal murder

Sort-of.

1. The Bible- well, the Torah- was not given or imposed on anyone other than the Jews at Mount Sinai.

2. So the laws deriving from it (with only seven exceptions dating from Noah's time) aren't either.

3. So the people in the US are wrong.

4. And moral guidance is not what it's there for, either.

Remember that Christianity very soon junked all Jewish law. The first Christians were all Jews, true, but their newly-created religion scorned what they saw as Pharisaic legislation.

I guess that junked the 10 commandments then?

Are we really having a discussion about the rights and wrongs of executing people in the 21st century?

God (if I were a believer) help us.

Are we really having a discussion about the rights and wrongs of executing people in the 21st century?

God (if I were a believer) help us.

Its mad aint it.

[/b]

I'm afraid you can"t argue with that.

To me it seems as though we are playing Russian roulette with the general public,a few people sat round a desk deciding wether a murderer has reformed and is safe to be let free.It almost seems as if they view peoples lives to be worthless and a few people being murdered if the wrong decision is made is acceptable.Why is no compassion shown towards the victims and their families.

There is no such 'philosophy' nor any legal rule to that effect.

I do actually understand the finer point of what you are saying. I called it a philosophy because it is a modern philosophy based on an understanding, misguided or otherwise, of the Old Testament. I call it the Old Testament because we are discussing the views of a largely Christian US population who view the bible as Old Testament and New Testament and the origins of that belief are in what they know as the 'Old' Testament.

No not like America at all, they may have the deterrent of the death sentence but it takes years and years for someone to be executed, if it happens at all, and everyone knows that so does it work as a deterrent at all???? So no not like America.

But they have a horrible penal system. Surely that's preferable to you than the one we have?

Texas on their own do about 10 a year. I don't know how many people have 100+ year sentences but I'd guess quite a few won't see the light of day again.

But clearly neither act as a deterrent.

The problem with parole is that prisoners can put on an act and pretend they've reformed when really they haven't changed at all. How many 'reformed' prisoners have been released just to re-offend and even murder again?

Very true, and I speak from personal experience about the gullible parole boards.

Life should mean life, and not even a cushy life. In a society that, unfortunately wipes the proverbial a**es of criminals with their three good meals per day, TV's, use of mobile phones etc,etc, yet turns a blind eye to those homeless and genuinely hard up folk, it makes me sick to the teeth that our judicial system and governments cannot get their priorities right.

In 1989 when my youngest brother murdered both my grandmother and aunt, he served 14 years, he pulled the wool over the parole boards eyes and was released, caused more mayhem and was sent down again, he's soon to be before the parole board AGAIN, and has said he would like to return to Sheffield. Our family has had to set up exclusion zones through the probation service (as if he'll adhere to them :loopy:) and we are now expected to risk bumping into him again some time in the near future and have to be reminded of the grief we suffered back then.

Admittedly at the time I would have gladly seen him hang, but maybe it's down to time and hopefully being a little wiser that I am now of the firm belief that in his, and this case, life should be life.....no parole.

Let me get this right. You want offenders' IDs made public to prevent innocent people being attacked?

How about we all respect the law and allow our judicial and penal systems to do their jobs.

That's not what I said at all....

beats me how had these thoughts and slipped under the radar of his friends.

Another one that has hit the news today.The amount of time these dangerous murderers spent behind bars is pitiful,and they are now being tried for murder again.Totally unacceptable.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-43344799

Its actually frightening how people with records like this are released early :rant:

I’d vote for the death penalty - but not for chrimes like this.

Terrorists, cop killers yes.

Incidentally as I understand it, being part of the EU stops us from even contemplating capital punishment. But even after Brexit, I doubt any political party would advocate its reinstatement.