No DSS when renting.

The new Disability Discrimination Act forbids any landlord or agent to advertise "No DSS" as this could discriminate against anybody who claims any kind of benefit, not just housing benefit.

Apart from the fact the "DSS" has not existed for some time but remains in the public domain as a euphemism for "Housing Benefit", the latter should be the only term used if you don't want to accept tenants who are claiming housing benefit - because that is exactly what you are trying to avoid. To continue using "No DSS" will make you open to being prosecuted under the DDA 2005 as you are protentially discriminating against all benefit claimants! Beware!

Just to check - when you say "new" do you mean the Act passed in 1995, which has since been repealed and replaced with the Equality Act 2010?

As you say, the "DSS" has not existed for some time, but landlords have never been forbidden to advertise "no DSS" by the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 or the Disability Discrimination Act 2005. Or the Equality Act 2010. Or any other Act of Parliament.

The Equality Act makes some forms of discrimination unlawful but not others. It doesn't prohibit discrimination on grounds of benefit status or because people can't afford the market rent.

And the Equality Act doesn't lead to anyone being "prosecuted". it gives civil rights which can be enforced in a civil court and lead to an award of damages for a victim of discrimination. There are additional powers for the Equality and Human Rights Commission to take action on discriminatory advertisements.

If you're going to post something that looks like an informed warning to landlords, it is better to get the factual content right. Because this is just nonsense.

Surely its 100% up to the land lord who they choose to live in their own property.

Generally, yes. Except where discrimination is unlawful.

I don't know,

I just copy and pasted this from a property website

I was reading a article on BBC news recently about people who claim housing benefit. How it can be hard for them to find a flat/house to rent as often they will say no DSS in the advert. It said that single mothers struggle as some work part time and use HB to top up there income.

I have seen quit a few flats on Rightmove recently that state no DSS. I understand why people would not want to rent to someone claiming benefits but they're not all bad.

It is what it is. Opinion is too polarised to see any overnight change. It will take not only legislation, but enforcement to see any change.

No I agree, the overwhelming majority of tenants are responsible people. There are a few that you wouldn't want to live next door to, just the same with owner occupiers.

I think certain attitudes of landlords maybe one reason for refusing to let to DSS tenants. Some BTL mortgage rules don't allow landlords to let to tenants on benefits....similarly with insurance. Insurance premiums, with some companies are higher when tenants are on benefits.

Given that the number of social housing units is becoming less and less, the Government ought to look at the needs of renters, those on benefits etc.

Many people who are working are on benefits of one kind or another, simply to make ends meet. In fact there are many more people in work on benefits, than there are unemployed people claiming benefits. Unfortunately, tenants don't get much media attention, as do homeowners, or wannabe homeowners.

I've heard Landlords say there is even less chance when Universal Credit comes in.

If someone who rents is working, and loses their job, they will have to wait about 6 weeks for HB to kick in, (if they qualify.) Which means if they don't have savings to cover the rent the Landlord won't get paid.

However, it usually takes longer than that to evict someone with a tenancy agreement, so I would advise them to stay put, and negotiate with the Landlord. If they have a good track record it will be in their favour. They will get back money when it starts to come through. Sadly a lot of them will have built up debt by then, panic, and do a runner.

Another problem for unemployed Renters is the upfront Bond and first months rent necessary. It's often more than £1,000 and that's more than someone on benefits has available, so they can't afford to rent.

Also: there's no 'DSS' [Department of Social Security] nowadays and there hasn't been for some years.

Why has this been moved from the 'General Discussions' section?

I think it's very much of General interest. Everyone needs somewhere to live, and nobody knows what the future holds. It also might help inform all those unsure of why there has been such an increase in homelessness and sofa-surfing. Therefore I don't think it should be confined in a 'special' interest section where there will be very little 'footfall.'

I would like to hear the opinions, and hopefully, solutions of a much wider, audience.

Also: there's no 'DSS' [Department of Social Security] nowadays and there hasn't been for some years.

Yes I know but that is what it says on the ads.

Why has this been moved from the 'General Discussions' section?

I think it's very much of General interest. Everyone needs somewhere to live, and nobody knows what the future holds. It also might help inform all those unsure of why there has been such an increase in homelessness and sofa-surfing. Therefore I don't think it should be confined in a 'special' interest section where there will be very little 'footfall.'

I would like to hear the opinions, and hopefully, solutions of a much wider, audience.

yes, this is not just an issue for landlords, but one of social justice, fairness, etc and what sort of society we live in.

Some BTL mortgages state that people receiving state benefits are not allowed to rent the property so it’s not always down to the landlord being picky....