Seasonal bonfire ban.

I’ve tried composting perennial weeds several times, but they don’t die! In fact they actively start growing again, plus the amount of bramble and couch grass roots we have, there’d be no room for any thing else.

So, as I said: what do we do with them?

you or the council could try hot composting. Theoretically it should work and produce good soil in just over 2 weeks. It'll also be hot enough to kill weeds and seeds.

However.... i tried it, and it didn't work. Stuff just didn't biodegrade in the time... I was using a bin, rather than a compost pile though. After about 5 weeks i did use the "Soil".. I've got tomatoes and peppers currently growing on the soil, but the soil doesn't look great, and the tomatoes dont either. But they are bearing fruit. I do want to test out the soil but haven't had a chance yet.

So, try hot composting - it seems to be scientifically tested and supported, although it didn't work as well when I tried it, once.

you or the council could try hot composting. Theoretically it should work and produce good soil in just over 2 weeks. It'll also be hot enough to kill weeds and seeds.

However.... i tried it, and it didn't work. Stuff just didn't biodegrade in the time... I was using a bin, rather than a compost pile though. After about 5 weeks i did use the "Soil".. I've got tomatoes and peppers currently growing on the soil, but the soil doesn't look great, and the tomatoes dont either. But they are bearing fruit. I do want to test out the soil but haven't had a chance yet.

So, try hot composting - it seems to be scientifically tested and supported, although it didn't work as well when I tried it, once.

Thanks, I will look into it!

It makes a refreshing change to be able to sit out in the garden, have all the windows open and get the washing dry, without the smoke and smell coming from bonfires.

Well done to the Sheffield council for implementing the bonfire ban.

Well, the sky didn't fall in and the ban has worked. Not one bonfire on my adjacent site during one of the best summers for years.