Seasonal bonfire ban.

The council have banned bonfires on allotments from May 1st to 30th of September. Not before time, if you ask me!

The problem with this is, on taking over a run down plot there is usually an awful lot of pernicious weeds that need burning.

Allotment committees should be allowed to arrange a communal burn on a few designated days during the year, if they were started early and put out after a couple of hours I think this would be a more suitable idea.

It sounds like they looked into doing that...

We considered introducing greater restrictions but without a total ban, e.g. only allowing fires on a certain evening during the summer months, or only allowing fires in suitable incinerators during the summer months, however it was felt that a total ban in the summer months is clearer, and easier to understand and enforce.

http://democracy.sheffield.gov.uk/ieDecisionDetails.aspx?Id=1955

Edited by nikki-red

Point taken, Thorpist. However, trying to organise anything on an allotment site is difficult at the best of times. Whose plot has the fire? When are the best times? Who will police it? Will be some of the questions put to the committee.

Surely there are some allotmenteers in Sheffield with good committees who will feel aggrieved with a blanket ban when they could police the rule themselves.

I agree that some sites will not have a suitable area, but some will.

It seems to me that common sense goes out of the window when beaurocracy steps in.

Bureaucracy has had to step in, Thorpist. Despite notices on gates, subtle hints and residents complaining, some tenants were adamant that they would light a bonfire, no matter what. As usual, the majority have to suffer the inconsiderate actions of a few.

Maybe the council could use some of the huge fees that they charge to provide more communal skips. Then there would be less need to have bonfires.

The council have banned bonfires on allotments from May 1st to 30th of September. Not before time, if you ask me!

Thanks for the info! Hope its adhered to.

Maybe the council could use some of the huge fees that they charge to provide more communal skips. Then there would be less need to have bonfires.

We've had a skip delivered to my site. It stipulates that no green waste should be put in it. I'll give you three guesses what some tenants have deposited in the skip?

Surely there are some allotmenteers in Sheffield with good committees who will feel aggrieved with a blanket ban when they could police the rule themselves.

I agree that some sites will not have a suitable area, but some will.

It seems to me that common sense goes out of the window when beaurocracy steps in.

Completely agree!! You can’t win with Sheffield allotment office. If you don’t clear weeds you get a stroppy letter, yet now they are saying we can’t burn them during the months they grow!! What exactly are we supposed to do with the brambles couch grass roots etc etc? Maybe they can put their heads together and answer me that? Considering we pay the highest rent in the country, having a fire from time to time is not too much to ask.

---------- Post added 27-03-2018 at 17:40 ----------

Don’t be silly!! As if you are asking for something, for the money we pay.. :roll:

---------- Post added 27-03-2018 at 17:41 ----------

We've had a skip delivered to my site. It stipulates that no green waste should be put in it. I'll give you three guesses what some tenants have deposited in the skip?

So, we can’t burn them, we can’t skip them, but we HAVE to clear them? Where do we put them??

Completely agree!! You can’t win with Sheffield allotment office. If you don’t clear weeds you get a stroppy letter, yet now they are saying we can’t burn them during the months they grow!! What exactly are we supposed to do with the brambles couch grass roots etc etc? Maybe they can put their heads together and answer me that? Considering we pay the highest rent in the country, having a fire from time to time is not too much to ask.

---------- Post added 27-03-2018 at 17:40 ----------

Don’t be silly!! As if you are asking for something, for the money we pay.. :roll:

---------- Post added 27-03-2018 at 17:41 ----------

So, we can’t burn them, we can’t skip them, but we HAVE to clear them? Where do we put them??

Compost them.

I’ve tried composting perennial weeds several times, but they don’t die! In fact they actively start growing again, plus the amount of bramble and couch grass roots we have, there’d be no room for any thing else.

So, as I said: what do we do with them?