Excellent care from NHS

striker15’s very moving post is the reason why no organisation should be beyond criticism, South Yorkshire Police are a good example. There does appear to be two sets of rules, in that every area of the private sector is fair game to be rubbished by the perfect public sector, whilst the reverse is a no go area.

A very good friend was killed by a doctor he had never met 18 years ago. He was feeling ill on Boxing Day and his wife phoned 999. The doctor conducted several tests and concluded that his heart rate was very high, so gave him a beta blocker, he died the next day when his heart packed up. He was one of the fittest people I have ever known, the NHS closed ranks and refused to even look into this tragic event.

in every walk of life , in everything you do you have to be held accountable for your actions unless you work for the NHS, doctors / consultants have a license to kill ,harsh words but true , believe me

Ever wish you hadn't started something. A general post to say that the NHS had served me very well has turned into another one of those where people then start to have a dig at them. Yes the NHS make mistakes, some big ones at that and I have been on the receiving end of some rubbish treatment several times. I do feel for people that have not had a good level of care and you have every right to feel the way you do but i was simply expressing my views on my care and to say that there are a lot of hard-working, caring and under paid staff in the nhs who do deserve a big thank you when they do get it right.

Trouble with the Health Service is that there are too many penpushers and not enough hands on staff.

Very much so.

Ever wish you hadn't started something. A general post to say that the NHS had served me very well has turned into another one of those where people then start to have a dig at them. Yes the NHS make mistakes, some big ones at that and I have been on the receiving end of some rubbish treatment several times. I do feel for people that have not had a good level of care and you have every right to feel the way you do but i was simply expressing my views on my care and to say that there are a lot of hard-working, caring and under paid staff in the nhs who do deserve a big thank you when they do get it right.

Try not to take it personally. I for one am glad you posted. Nobody is denying that there are a lot of hard-working, caring and under-paid staff in the NHS who do deserve a big thank you. But the object of a forum is to provoke discussion and in this particular topic there have been both positive and not so positive comments. Surely that's good?

Guest busdriver1
Try not to take it personally. I for one am glad you posted. Nobody is denying that there are a lot of hard-working, caring and under-paid staff in the NHS who do deserve a big thank you. But the object of a forum is to provoke discussion and in this particular topic there have been both positive and not so positive comments. Surely that's good?

I would like to second those comments and add that mine were an attempt to show how highly I value the service provided by the staff at the 2 sheffield hospitals and my comments about another were purely to emphasise how well off the people of Sheffield are in my experience.

Trouble with the Health Service is that there are too many penpushers and not enough hands on staff.

However, the NHS appears not to be over managed.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/comment/debunked-myths-about-nhs-managers/5083805.article

Research by the King's Fund shows that across the UK the proportion of managers in the workplace is 15.4%, but the NHS spends 1-2%on Managers. Recent figures show just over 30,000 managers in the NHS, around 400,000 nurses, therapeutic and scientific staff and about 45000 consultant level doctors.

I don't think it is the envy of the world at all, in fact it's pretty second rate compared to many European countries - look at the statistics. Remember, in some parts of the country the NHS, no longer rountinely (yet another committee has to decide) carries-out non urgent surgery - how can that be right.

Yes, the nasty party are destroying the NHS, with PFI, ludicrous internal markets and partial privatisation. The object is to ready it for sale to one of the giant US, providers, after brexit.

Tony Blair started PFI, without being racist you can't have 1,000.000 extra people entering the country without putting a strain on the NHS/Housing/Schools.

Also too many highly paid managers who are not doing their job properly.

One example is Rotherham General where they took away the dropping off point for visitors/Outpatients to build an extension which just seems to house a coffee shop, must have cost thousands for something that just cause problems in ambulance waiting area. Sorry about the long post but I get tired of hearing about the "nasty party" when all governments whatever their politics have been the same.

I must add I have had wonderful treatment from the NHS for the last 16 years for a Stroke/Broken hip/Shoulder/Epilepsy, both from RGH/Hallamshire and In Dorset Poole.

It's good to see positive comments. On the good side when my husband had stroke symptoms he was put through a series of tests and scans very promptly and efficiently - no unnecessary waiting around. On the other hand, another relative had a pacemaker fitted. The procedure itself went ahead but an X-ray was needed before she could go home. After several hours of waiting she eventually went for the X-ray - staff there said they hadn't been busy - the ward just hadn't made the arrangements.