Excellent care from NHS

People are often quick to complain about the NHS and I am one of them. However, this last week I was in need of some urgent tests and I can't praise the staff at the Northern General and Hallamshire enough. The care I have received was excellent and I can't thank the people that cared for me enough. You have restored my faith in the service. Thank you.

People are often quick to complain about the NHS and I am one of them. However, this last week I was in need of some urgent tests and I can't praise the staff at the Northern General and Hallamshire enough. The care I have received was excellent and I can't thank the people that cared for me enough. You have restored my faith in the service. Thank you.

The NHS service is the envy of the world and we all take it for granted, pity this government is hell bent on destroying it!

Guest busdriver1

I will second that, if you want a comparison try Rotherham General. Dire on a good day and they dont have many of them.

I work in the CT dept at RHH and NGH, the only time we hear about the NHS is in a negative way, fair enough, positive news doesn't sell papers, but we work in a very busy dept under lots of pressure, but to read positive feedback from patients, or patients relatives, really makes the job worthwhile, thank you..

Edited by Longy67

I have had some rough times in A&E, all clearly due to government cuts causing staff to be overworked and discharge to be quick on the draw.

When it comes to outpatient treatment however, apart from it always running late, I agree - its always been really good.

I think people watch too many TV shows, seeing the very best the US has to offer, not thinking that only the very rich would ever get that treatment.

Longy67 - it was actually the CT Dept at the RHH that I attended along with an appointment in out-patients. The CT dept was busy as I expect it always is but the staff made me feel like I was the only patient there and I genuinely felt cared about. Keep up the amazing work that you are all doing and thank you again.

I will second that, if you want a comparison try Rotherham General. Dire on a good day and they dont have many of them.

I'm not sure how many 'days' you have spent in RGH to qualify your comment. I have had two life saving operations there and the staff, doctors, and surgeons have all been wonderful. I will also praise all the domestic services staff who are often overlooked but do sterling work keeping the wards clean, tidy, and safe.

I recently had to take my son to A&E. He was seen within five minutes of arrival by a Triage nurse and we had to wait for 30 minutes to be seen by a maxillofacial doctor. This doctor was totally professional, calm and reassuring. My son had to have stitches in his gum. He was apprehensive but it was dealt with quickly and painlessly. Perhaps people should try private health care and the wallet busting prices that go with it before they moan about the NHS.

I have had the misfortune to need an operation to repair a faulty valve in my heart just recently..I have had numerous tests ecg,s,xrays,blood tests etc etc and finally my operation at the end of December. I can only say from my experience that the service,care and compassion that I have received from the Northern General Hospital has been second to non..My total regards to all the people working on Chesterman 4..Its a shame that the political leaders in this country (which ever party they are) do not hold our NHS in such esteem.They are happy to spend our money, yes thats yours and mine on projects abroad,many of which are not warranted but fail to provide the health service with the requirements that are needed to continue to promote the health and well fare of our own communities...not a rant, just an observation by one who is grateful for the tremendous service provided by people working on a shoe string

Thank god not just me who thinks they do a great job this is why I am doing a charity event for the Sheffield hospital charity trust

I have also been seen in Chesterfield hospital recently and received excellent care there. My only concern though is with primary care. I know gp's are also under a lot of pressure but i think they need to take a step back and listen to patients a bit more. Many times I have been sent away and told nothing is wrong only then to find I was right and had to start treatment that I could have had weeks earlier. Anyway back to secondary care, I can't complain about it.

As a regular attendee at the NGH, I have only good things to say about it and the NHS in general. Splendid, keep up the good work it is most appreciated.

Angel1.

Unfortunately your opinions of the NHS as a whole are often shaped by recent experiences at one location.

My 86 year-old dad with Alzheimer's was recently admitted to the orthopaedic ward at Macclesfield Hospital. The first problem we had was when my mum was told that his dirty washing was in a tied-up bag by his bed. When she came to load the washing machine she found that he had soiled himself and the 'full load' was wrapped up in his pyjamas. The same happened again a few days later. When I consulted the hospital's operating procedures it specifically stated that all soiled linens were to be housed in a separate room and not left on the ward.

A while later we made an unannounced visit one day at 11am to find the ward devoid of nurses or doctors and my dad actually having a stroke! We raised the alarm and all hell broke loose. He was then transferred to Stepping Hill Hospital in Stockport where the treatment he received was second to none. We showed our appreciation to both the staff and volunteers when he was discharged some 2 months later.