Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 3)

2 hours ago, Obelix said:

That would be foolish in the extreme, as firstly the DPA would kick in, and secondly people could just drive up and reverse off and cause them no end of problems....

A photo of a car reversing off would look much the same as one of a car approaching. I've had a couple of these demands and they show the front and rear number plates.

12 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

A photo of a car reversing off would look much the same as one of a car approaching. I've had a couple of these demands and they show the front and rear number plates.

do you mean one set going in and another set coming out? eg from one camera?

2 minutes ago, woodview said:

do you mean one set going in and another set coming out? eg from one camera?

No, there were just two photos. One of the car coming in and one of the car leaving, both with the time alongside.

5 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

No, there were just two photos. One of the car coming in and one of the car leaving, both with the time alongside.

I meant one set of plates, in each direction. So there was one camera, which took the car going in, and the same camera took it going out? eg front plates going in, back plates coming out?

1 hour ago, Waldo said:

If there was one of these car parks on my way to work, I'd be tempted to visit for 2 minutes, twice a day, in the hope of getting a ticket for overstaying. Obviously I would have evidence of only being there for 2 minutes on each visit. Hopefully they'd take it to court.

I'm assuming in such a scenario, you'd win in court, if you have clear evidence of only being there 2 minutes?

A driver has 10min grace period on entry, and at least 10min on exit.

10 hours ago, alchresearch said:

Not very sensible.  They'll just compare the exit photo with similar cars entering earlier, or check the database for any cars which didn't cleanly check out.

And maybe they'll pass the photo to the police for good measure (spite) for driving on the public highway with an obscured number plate.

The PPCs have a contract (KADOE) with the DVLA; they have to apply with the VRN to obtain the Registered Keeper's address and I believe it costs them £3 per car.

More here on KADOE:   https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4890308

18 minutes ago, carosio said:

A driver has 10min grace period on entry, and at least 10min on exit.

Thank you. Actually, I thought it was 10 mins total (at least that's what was argued in court, and the judge didn't seem to disagree).

In any case, I'm not sure what relevance that has to my post / suggestion? If a car only stays for 2 mins total on any single stay, what's the relevance of the grace period?

59 minutes ago, woodview said:

I meant one set of plates, in each direction. So there was one camera, which took the car going in, and the same camera took it going out? eg front plates going in, back plates coming out?

That's correct.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Thank you. Actually, I thought it was 10 mins total (at least that's what was argued in court, and the judge didn't seem to disagree).

In any case, I'm not sure what relevance that has to my post / suggestion? If a car only stays for 2 mins total on any single stay, what's the relevance of the grace period?

It could work.

You'd have to be sure the camera got you on the way in in the morning, bit miss you leaving. Then it would have to miss you entering in the afternoon, but get you on the way out. Then it would appear you had an 8 hour long park. Making sure you have somthinging definitive that proves your car was elsewhere at the intermediate time.

Edited by woodview

35 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's a reasonable time to enter the park, read the signs to accept or reject the contract (which usually means leaving the car) then leave, or when the 2 hrs are up, a reasonable time to leave the park, depending on any queues.

I was thinking that 2mins stay could be included within the initial entry (grace) period.

41 minutes ago, woodview said:

It could work.

You'd have to be sure the camera got you on the way in in the morning, bit miss you leaving. Then it would have to miss you entering in the afternoon, but get you on the way out. Then it would appear you had an 8 hour long park. Making sure you have somthinging definitive that probes your car was elsewhere at the intermediate time.

Unless their systems are not sufficiently robust to identify multiple same-day visits.

I'm sure I heard of this exact thing happening to a lawyer type on MSE, who ended up screwing the PPC over data protection or some such (they sent a warning letter to the PPC the first time it happened, warning them there would be charges, and eventually took them to court and won).

24 minutes ago, carosio said:

It's a reasonable time to enter the park, read the signs to accept or reject the contract (which usually means leaving the car) then leave, or when the 2 hrs are up, a reasonable time to leave the park, depending on any queues.

I was thinking that 2mins stay could be included within the initial entry (grace) period.

Ah yeah, I get all that, thanks. :)

What I was talking about, was making multiple visits on the same day, intending and  hoping to get a ticket. The idea being that the PPC has to waste time and money chasing you, taking you to court, for something they have no chance of winning.

Edited by Waldo

Right, I think it's called double charging or something like that, there's advice on it on MSE and pepipoo, you have to present some evidence of being elsewhere between times, presuming the PPC has got everything else right under PoFA 20`2.

On 11/02/2019 at 13:08, alchresearch said:

You could dispute it and argue that 2 hours is not long enough to get around all the local shops - especially if you have walking difficulties.

Can't see how that would be any defence.  They aren't obliged to give you "long enough".  You're obliged to leave within the time frame you've agreed to by parking there at all.