Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 3)

Thank you very much OP for this advice.  

Drakehouse will be avoided also.  To be honest, the choice of shops and the layout is very poor 

6 hours ago, Lex Luthor said:

Thank you very much OP for this advice.  

Drakehouse will be avoided also.  To be honest, the choice of shops and the layout is very poor 

Are you avoiding retail parks where shady PPC's operate?

I imagine that's most? I have to admit, I'm a lot more inclined to shop online vs retail, because of my experience with PPC's.

I would presume on their website that they have sufficient photo evidence of Yankee71 leaving the "site" and the car was unoccupied,  the boundaries of the site were clearly indicated on the signs,  the signs are  easily read day and night, (very much doubt if those signs would pass the "easy -to -read" test),  the Notice to Driver conforms to all requirements,  the employee warned the "driver" of the consequences in order to mitigate the "company's losses", as apparently he/she had the opportunity to do so, and proof that they have an adequate contract with the landowner to pursue charges in their own name. Just my thoughts.

On 22/01/2019 at 00:04, Top Cats Hat said:

I know that there are some on here who say that these parking 'invoices' are legally enforceable but I have always binned them and most people I know have binned them and apart from a computer generated follow up letter have heard nothing further.

They have been taking people to court for several years now, since the law changed and made it possible for them to win.

On 21/01/2019 at 22:03, Yankees71 said:

Just wanted to post about what happened at the weekend. Nipped to Drakehouse for some dog food from Pets at Home, managed to park fairly close to Pets at Home which was good. Called in Smyths and B&M whilst there. Needed to call at Boots down the bottom but rather than drive down there decided to park in the relatively empty bottom corner outside Homebase and walk across.
BIG MISTAKE!
Came back to the car to find a little yellow bag stuck to the windscreen. The 10 minute round trip walk to Boots had cost £100! (or only £60 if I pay it within 14 days!) It said on the ticket I had 'left the site' and when I found a sign, 8ft up a lamp post, I could just about read that this could be the case.
Now this isn't a post to moan about whats right and wrong, if I've done wrong I'll put hands up, which I have. And before all the armchair lawyers start telling me to "ignore it" "they can't do anything" "only the police and council can" etc etc... Save your breath, I've Googled it too and I've also already paid it.
This is a post to warn people that the Drakehouse retail park is actually split into 3 different areas and not just one big complex like I have always thought. The land is owned by different people and patrolled by a company called UKPC (UK Parking Control) There's the big top bit (B&M, Currys, Homebase, Halfords etc) Then theres 'Crystal Peaks' retail park at the bottom (Boots, Argos, TK Maxx etc) and theres the bit with Aldi, Greggs, Home Bargains etc on. So if you park up at and nip into Homebase, come out and fancy a sausage roll from Greggs, you have to move your car across to the Aldi/Greggs site (good luck with that!) I suppose its a bit like parking at Centertainment and walking across to the Arena (again, good luck with that!!!) It's bit naughty and I appreciate that.
Apparently since the Aldi site opened, where theres obviously not enough parking on site, a lot of people are parking in the 'Drakehouse retail' or 'Crystal Peaks retail' sites and walking across, not realising the 'UKPC Hi-Viz Warriors' are ready to pounce! One of the guys in Homebase told me they hang around there watching for people to walk down the steps and off site.
Like I say, I've paid, learnt from it, and will now move on. Just wanted to warn others, if this post stops UKPC from getting money from just 1 more person, then my work here is done!

I honestly think that as you had made purchases from multiple shops on the retail park UKPC would have had a hard time getting the court to uphold their invoice. Essentially a PPC is an invoice for 'damages' and since you spent money on site they have no argument for that. 

Can anyone post a pic of the "contract board" because from memory I can't remember there being any clause that states you must not leave the site.

5 hours ago, Resident said:

I honestly think that as you had made purchases from multiple shops on the retail park UKPC would have had a hard time getting the court to uphold their invoice. Essentially a PPC is an invoice for 'damages' and since you spent money on site they have no argument for that. 

Can anyone post a pic of the "contract board" because from memory I can't remember there being any clause that states you must not leave the site.

Not Drakehouse, but this article shows examples.

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2019/01/shoppers-fury-at-leaving-the-site-parking-fines/

8 hours ago, Resident said:

It's usually "breach of contract" that they invoice for, and you're right they would have a hard time (in small claims court) if it's properly defended.

They have been consistently winning cases in court for some time now.

They can, in many cases by default when the driver/keeper ignores, but if  well defended they usually lose.

I was unaware that, when using the local Aldi car park, my car was photographed when

entering and when leaving. Two hours is free but I was 21 minutes over the limit, hence

a postal demand from ParkingEye for 40 pounds.  I thought that fine demands for

parking on private lands were not legally binding. but apparently ParkingEye are able

to access my car details and my name and address from DVLA  records.  So I guess I had

better pay up. It wont happen again!

It's not a fine, they claim it's a contract that you formed by parking in the car park where signs are clearly visible.

You didn't shop in Aldi for >2hrs though did you...

17 hours ago, Cyclone said:

It's not a fine, they claim it's a contract that you formed by parking in the car park where signs are clearly visible.

You didn't shop in Aldi for >2hrs though did you...

No I didn't.  The sign says that you are allowed 2 hours for local shopping - not just Aldi.