Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 3)

You are right about spending hours contesting VCS, but the Beavis case was about the level of charges.

If it's true that there are signs clearly saying there are 2hrs free parking upon entering the site, then this shall prevail.

Hi Thanks for the replies and it's not quite my point. I understand about the enforceability but has had anybody had experience of being fined for not paying for a ticket for 1-2 hours. The signage is confusing in that it still talks about 2 hours free parking. I suspect that the cameras only pick up on people staying longer than 2 hours but they are reliant on people paying up using the ticket machine. Anybodies recent experience would be helpful.

Cheers Chris

Hi Thanks for the replies and it's not quite my point. I understand about the enforceability but has had anybody had experience of being fined for not paying for a ticket for 1-2 hours. The signage is confusing in that it still talks about 2 hours free parking. I suspect that the cameras only pick up on people staying longer than 2 hours but they are reliant on people paying up using the ticket machine. Anybodies recent experience would be helpful.

Don't call private parking tickets "fines". That gives them a possibly-spurious veneer of validity.

At most, they are demands for a contractual payment. If the contract can be disproven, they're wholly unenforceable.

If the contract can be disproven, they're wholly unenforceable.

Surely it is up to the parking firm to prove that a contract has been entered into.

I could put a sign on my drive which says that anyone who walks up to my front door agrees that they will pay me £50 if they knock on it, but I wouldn't expect any court in the land to agree that anyone who did that owed me £50!

It's for both sides to to reach "on the balance of probabilities".

But the law was changed to make it easier for parking enforcement companies about three years ago.

Surely it is up to the parking firm to prove that a contract has been entered into.

I could put a sign on my drive which says that anyone who walks up to my front door agrees that they will pay me £50 if they knock on it, but I wouldn't expect any court in the land to agree that anyone who did that owed me £50!

Also, they may not give you their details. Whereas, with a PPC, they can always bribe the DVLA £2.50 (or however much it is these days) to get your details.

Nurse faces bankruptcy as she receives more than 300 letters in just three months and 30 phone calls an hour demanding she pay £7,000 parking fines

NHS nurse Astra Farmer left her car in a private car park without permission.

The 34-year-old mother-of-one from Exmouth ignored 23 parking fines.

She said she thought she got away without paying Premier Parking Solutions.

She said she would leave a polite note and ignored fines and letters from a private parking firm after researching the underhand scare tactics similar companies use.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6341411/NHS-nurse-34-verge-bankruptcy-receiving-23-parking-fines.html

Also, they may not give you their details. Whereas, with a PPC, they can always bribe the DVLA £2.50 (or however much it is these days) to get your details.

It really is time to stop this!

Private information held by VOSA and the DVLA should only be available to the police and local authorities and no one else.

Is it going to take the murder of someone being stalked by a perp who obtains their victim's address by paying £2.50 before something is done about it?

Is it going to take the murder of someone being stalked by a perp who obtains their victim's address by paying £2.50 before something is done about it?

A bit of a spurious link connecting the two there. How long has this service been available, yet there's been no evidence of stalking or murdering? A stalker could probably get far more information from social media than contacting the DVLA, or just follow the "victim's" car home.

If there was any scope for abuse, it would be to track down someone who'd cut you up in a road rage incident. And again, any evidence to show this has happened?

Nurse faces bankruptcy as she receives more than 300 letters in just three months and 30 phone calls an hour demanding she pay £7,000 parking fines

Private parking firms' demands are not 'fines'. This has been posted over and over again.

But a defendant's failure to respond to a County Court default summons inexorably leads to judgment for the plaintiff (claimant); and I guess that this is why she faces bankruptcy.

Hiya Guys.

My partner works at the Memory centre, Longley in Sheffield, its part of the NHS, she has a parking permit but forget to display it, now she has received a £100 from the "vehicle control services", does she have to pay the fine if they dont accept her excuse?