Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 3)

2 hours ago, mikeG said:

No I didn't.  The sign says that you are allowed 2 hours for local shopping - not just Aldi.

You could dispute it and argue that 2 hours is not long enough to get around all the local shops - especially if you have walking difficulties.

A 'friend' of mine realised he had overstayed the 2 hr limit in a ANPR controlled carpark. A piece of paper accidentally stuck on his number plate as he passed the exit camera, luckily blowing away before he re-entered the public highway.

Just a 'warning' in case you find yourself in a similar predicament 😉

10 hours ago, woodview said:

A 'friend' of mine realised he had overstayed the 2 hr limit in a ANPR controlled carpark. A piece of paper accidentally stuck on his number plate as he passed the exit camera, luckily blowing away before he re-entered the public highway.

Just a 'warning' in case you find yourself in a similar predicament 😉

Not very sensible.  They'll just compare the exit photo with similar cars entering earlier, or check the database for any cars which didn't cleanly check out.

And maybe they'll pass the photo to the police for good measure (spite) for driving on the public highway with an obscured number plate.

12 minutes ago, alchresearch said:

Not very sensible.  They'll just compare the exit photo with similar cars entering earlier, or check the database for any cars which didn't cleanly check out.

And maybe they'll pass the photo to the police for good measure (spite) for driving on the public highway with an obscured number plate.

Well, they didn't do that on the 3 times it accidentally happened to him. The cameras can't click all the ins / outs, as traffic queues in/out lots of plates are obscured. They just bank on catching a proportion.They perhaps are aware that car manufacturers make more than one of each model / colour! I don't think they are going to put Poirot on the job. The bit of paper must always fall off before going on an actual road, definitely.

Anyway, just passing on an interesting story, it wasn't advice.

On 10/02/2019 at 10:55, mikeG said:

I was unaware that, when using the local Aldi car park, my car was photographed when

entering and when leaving. Two hours is free but I was 21 minutes over the limit, hence

a postal demand from ParkingEye for 40 pounds.  I thought that fine demands for

parking on private lands were not legally binding. but apparently ParkingEye are able

to access my car details and my name and address from DVLA  records.  So I guess I had

better pay up. It wont happen again!

Or you complain to ALDI point out you are customer and invite them to tell their agent Parking Eye to cancel the charge. They can do it and will.

If they don't then there are many lines you can attack them on...

1 hour ago, alchresearch said:

None of which is illegal. There is no law stating that you must have a number plate readable on a private car park, and they have no proof on the highway that you had an obscured plate.

What happens if you drive in and out of a car park, multiple times on a single day?

Could their ANPR system match your entry on one visit, with your exit on a later vist? Say 4 hours later; but on each stay, you were only there for 10 minutes.

5 minutes ago, Obelix said:

There is no law stating that you must have a number plate readable on a private car park, and they have no proof on the highway that you had an obscured plate.

How would you know where the private car park ends and the public highway begin?

Edited by Waldo

54 minutes ago, Waldo said:

What happens if you drive in and out of a car park, multiple times on a single day?

Could their ANPR system match your entry on one visit, with your exit on a later vist? Say 4 hours later; but on each stay, you were only there for 10 minutes.

How would you know where the private car park ends and the public highway begin?

I think it is feasible for that error to happen. I guess it would be a point to try if you had a 'fine' from them. Would they risk it in court, because everybody could then use it as an excuse / reason?

This particular car park only has one camera, so it gets the rear plate going in and the front plate coming out. Often cars are bumper-bumper on the way out, it would be impossible for the camera to read all plates reliably in that situation.

In some car parks it would be very bad situation if the bit of paper accident happened, as they exit directly onto a road. Others are still on private entry areas, in this instance he was lucky to have the off-road run-off area, where he could remove the pesky bit of paper.

4 minutes ago, woodview said:

I think it is feasible for that error to happen. I guess it would be a point to try if you had a 'fine' from them. Would they risk it in court, because everybody could then use it as an excuse / reason?

What if someone had dashcam footage and GPR tracking to prove they were not in the car park longer than 10 minutes on any single stay?

Wondering if there is anything in the T&C's, relating to multiple visits on the same day?

Also, do the boards they put up around a car park, contain the full T&C's for parking?

1 hour ago, Obelix said:

There is no law stating that you must have a number plate readable on a private car park, and they have no proof on the highway that you had an obscured plate.

The photos are taken as the vehicle is about to enter the car park and after it has left the car park, in both instances the vehicle is on the public highway.

45 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

The photos are taken as the vehicle is about to enter the car park and after it has left the car park, in both instances the vehicle is on the public highway.

depends on the layout of the carpark. Lots monitor their bit of a retail park for example.

3 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

That would be foolish in the extreme, as firstly the DPA would kick in, and secondly people could just drive up and reverse off and cause them no end of problems....

If there was one of these car parks on my way to work, I'd be tempted to visit for 2 minutes, twice a day, in the hope of getting a ticket for overstaying. Obviously I would have evidence of only being there for 2 minutes on each visit. Hopefully they'd take it to court.

I'm assuming in such a scenario, you'd win in court, if you have clear evidence of only being there 2 minutes?

Edited by Waldo