Private Parking Ticket Megathread (Part 3)

Peak4,

Thank you for that valuable advice. I shall follow it. I will not have any contact with them.

You are absolutely right about the appeals procedure.

As I previously posted: don't reply to them, don't pay, and don't be cowed by them.

But DO respond if proper Court proceedings actually begin- or else a Default Judgment will be entered against you.

Does this advice still stand ,I have just received a ticket for over staying in Aldi by 15 mins ,the letter is headed Parking Charge Notice from a company called

Parking Eye .

If you were genuinely shopping there, then Aldi should be able to get it cancelled.

Either speak directly to the shop manager, or I think there is a number on their web page for customer services.

Who spends that long shopping in Aldi??

Who spends that long shopping in Aldi??

I was just thinking the same, however I often park in the Waitrose car park when not shopping there, albeit not for hours.

I thought this had been done to death.

This is not actually a legal argument but one of the practical management of their invoicing.

Putting up a sign in a car park stating that 'by parking here you enter into a contract and agree to our Terms & Conditions' is legally very shaky, however once there is ANY contact initiated by you, the parking company can then argue in court that that contact is a recognition by you that they have a right to issue parking invoices.

That is why the 'bin it and forget it' advice still holds.

These companies are chasing literally thousands of unpaid invoices and it COSTS THEM MONEY so they need to decide who to persue.

Firstly they will chase people who admit parking, accept the charge, but claim that it is too much.

Secondly they will chase people who admit parking but challenge their right to levy a charge.

Thirdly they will chase people who have never accepted their right to levy a charge, may no longer live at the registered keeper's address, may have never existed or may even be dead.

The first two categories have a very high success rate for the parking companies. The last one has a low success rate. As thousands of new tickets are issued every day, with resources they have, they will always concentrate on the former two.

In the extremely unlikely case that you do receive a communication from a County Court, deal directly with the court and DO NOT contact the parking company.

Well, in the next few days we'll be court. My first time in court and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I'm not a lawyer, have zero legal training, and have felt totally overwhelmed by the amount of work required to understand all the legal ins and outs and prepare defence, witness statement, evidence, etc.

From a practical point of view (considering the time and energy I've invested in defending), I have to say it's just not worth fighting.

Will be very happy when it's all over.

Well, in the next few days we'll be court. My first time in court and I have absolutely no idea what to expect. I'm not a lawyer, have zero legal training, and have felt totally overwhelmed by the amount of work required to understand all the legal ins and outs and prepare defence, witness statement, evidence, etc.

From a practical point of view (considering the time and energy I've invested in defending), I have to say it's just not worth fighting.

Will be very happy when it's all over.

Good luck, I think it's a judge in a room, rather than a normal court appearance, though I've never been there myself.

Any chance of a link to your MSE thread, so we can all learn something, even just to prove that ignoring everything is no longer a good move.

All the best for your excursion.

Good luck, I think it's a judge in a room, rather than a normal court appearance, though I've never been there myself.

Any chance of a link to your MSE thread, so we can all learn something, even just to prove that ignoring everything is no longer a good move.

All the best for your excursion.

Thanks Bill,

Yeah, feel like I've made a bit of a hash of it to be honest; I'm definintely not related to Rumpole of the Bailey!

Anyhow, people on MSE made a point not to mention anything that would allow the other side to connect a forum thread with a defendant / case number; I guess so you don't inadvertantly give the other side any ammunition against you.

After the hearing, I'll post the MSE link, as well as further thoughts, what happened, how I found the whole process, etc etc.

An old thread admittedly but I have just been sent a £40.00 fine for parking behind British Heart Foundation on Bradfield Road. I was there for exactly 16 minutes (their calculation) to pick up a piece of furniture.

Recommendations on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Received a parking notice charge today for £60 rising to £100 if not paid in 14 days. No ticket on car in car park of local pub. Was there bout 5-10 mins picked my granddaughter up from nursery. Do I have to pay these cowboys. Or ignore em? Help!!!!!