Manchester to Sheffield in the snow

Derby Tup in post 19 has the best route altho’ in weather conditions such as recently the Pott Shrigley Whaley Bridge bit is a tad exposed. Normally, on that route, you never get delayed. Not sure the new Hazel Grove dual carriageway will help us that much as it’s a real pain up the A6 etc to Hazel Grove

The new route will be a shorter distance than from Chapel via Pott Shrigley to the airport and mostly dual carriageway.

8 miles -new dual carriageway from the airport to High Lanes on the A6.

6 miles -on the old A6 through Disley, Newtown and Furness Vale.

4 miles -dual carriageway from Bugsworth to the A623 turnoff.

21 miles to the Hallamshire Hospital.

Although the route is shorter and avoids Hazel Grove, Whalley Bridge and Chapel, as you say it will be dependent on on how busy the 6 mile Disley, Newtown and Furness Vale single carriageway A6 stretch is.

Worth investigating?

The new route will be a shorter distance than from Chapel via Pott Shrigley to the airport and mostly dual carriageway.

8 miles -new dual carriageway from the airport to High Lanes on the A6.

6 miles -on the old A6 through Disley, Newtown and Furness Vale.

4 miles -dual carriageway from Bugsworth to the A623 turnoff.

21 miles to the Hallamshire Hospital.

Although the route is shorter and avoids Hazel Grove, Whalley Bridge and Chapel, as you say it will be dependent on on how busy the 6 mile Disley, Newtown and Furness Vale single carriageway A6 stretch is.

Worth investigating?

I'll let you try it first I think! That route along the A6 is the one which my sat-nav prefers for some reason. It is horrendous! I think Stockport must be the biggest city in the UK because I saw the signs when entering it and I saw the signs when leaving it, about 1.5 hours later!

I wonder how long that stretch between Disley and Furness Vale is going to take?

Sorry, I'm not meaning to "diss" your suggestion, but anything that touches the A6 on the West side of the Pennines isn't good usually.

---------- Post added 04-03-2018 at 15:50 ----------

Derby Tup in post 19 has the best route altho’ in weather conditions such as recently the Pott Shrigley Whaley Bridge bit is a tad exposed. Normally, on that route, you never get delayed. Not sure the new Hazel Grove dual carriageway will help us that much as it’s a real pain up the A6 etc to Hazel Grove

Yes, fair comment that.

I'll let you try it first I think! That route along the A6 is the one which my sat-nav prefers for some reason. It is horrendous! I think Stockport must be the biggest city in the UK because I saw the signs when entering it and I saw the signs when leaving it, about 1.5 hours later!

I wonder how long that stretch between Disley and Furness Vale is going to take?

The new route is not yet open (delayed) and does not go anywhere near Stockport.

It heads toward the airport before the A6 reaches Hazel Grove.

The new route is not yet open (delayed)

When it opens I’ll volunteer to do the guinea pig bit and post the times on this forum.

Anyone know if Winnats Pass is open

It's always seen as a secret route, entirely unsignposted.

The new route is not yet open (delayed) and does not go anywhere near Stockport.

On paper at least , Castleton / Winnats Pass/ Chapel - onto A6 then down the new link road (A555?) should be a winner...

Depends on just how much traffic ends up trying to get up and down Winnats . At the moment , it is a bit of a secret route (sshhh !!)

Otherwise its out to Calver / Stoney Middleton . Get the A623 then the A6 and then the new A555.

The new link saves all the chuffing about in Pott Shrigley and finding rat runs past Wilmslow !

And hopefully , I never have to go via Snake / Glossop / Mottram ever again!

On paper at least , Castleton / Winnats Pass/ Chapel - onto A6 then down the new link road (A555?) should be a winner...

Depends on just how much traffic ends up trying to get up and down Winnats . At the moment , it is a bit of a secret route (sshhh !!)

Otherwise its out to Calver / Stoney Middleton . Get the A623 then the A6 and then the new A555.

The new link saves all the chuffing about in Pott Shrigley and finding rat runs past Wilmslow !

And hopefully , I never have to go via Snake / Glossop / Mottram ever again!

http://www.trafficengland.com/traffic-report lists no 'A555'.

I always use the above chapel en le frith owt beats Glossop.

When completed this year a dual carriageway known as the A6 Manchester Airport Relief Road MARR, will exist directly between Manchester Airport Terminals and the A6 east of Hazel Grove.

A section of this already exists and is numbered A555 at Woodford (currently closed westbound for months).

Goooooogle is referring to the use of this as an alternative to Pott Shrigley.

Its use from Sheffield will depend on how congested the A6 will be between High Lanes/Disley and Buxworth and the congestion at Chapel and Whalley Bridge plus the meandering Pott Shrigley route.

The A6 MARR is only the current component of the South East Manchester road investment. Stockport is upgrading St Marys way into a new dual A road as an 'inner ring road'. Later phases will include upgrades to A34 and A6 to M60 (j25) link (Hazel Grove bypass); currently at consultation stage, as well as a Poynton bypass.

http://www.semmms.info/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/protected-route-corridor-for-the-A6-to-M60-scheme.pdf

http://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/pdf/highways/poynton-relief-road/prr-progress-update-dec-2017.pdf

Edited by biotechpete

The A6 MARR is only the current component of the South East Manchester road investment. Stockport is upgrading St Marys way into a new dual A road as an 'inner ring road'. Later phases will include upgrades to A34 and A6 to M60 (j25) link (Hazel Grove bypass); currently at consultation stage, as well as a Poynton bypass.

And if anywhere desperately needs a bypass Poynton surely does, especially since they introduced that 'shared space' arrangement that is totally out of place on a major access route to Stepping Hill Hospital. The number of times I've seen ambulances stuck in Poynton.

Anyway, that road- even if completed- won't actually link Sheffield and Manchester.

The airport's not even in Greater Manchester!