Fitzalan square regeneration

So many people posting problems - too far away from the city centre buzz, not enough car parking, too many roads. These problems are not insurmountable.

Good job Harry Brealey in 1914 didn't just shrug his shoulders and say 'well it's alright this steel but I suppose we've always got to accept it'll get rusty.'

I am sure Sheffielders have the creativity to overcome smaller problems like too much traffic.

Or have we lost our problem solving skills?

So many people posting problems - too far away from the city centre buzz, not enough car parking, too many roads. These problems are not insurmountable.

Good job Harry Brealey in 1914 didn't just shrug his shoulders and say 'well it's alright this steel but I suppose we've always got to accept it'll get rusty.'

I am sure Sheffielders have the creativity to overcome smaller problems like too much traffic.

Or have we lost our problem solving skills?

Maybe it's that age old disease. 'moan-about-everything-itis'..

More pedestrianising. More standing traffic.

Just look at Charter Row in the last few days.

Or Upper Hanover Street/Mappin St since closing Leavygreave.

:thumbsup::rolleyes:

It's just somewhere more posh for people to beg. I wonder if they've moved onto Leavygreave yet? Mainly students, so they'll be comfy and make more money.

That standing traffic isn't caused by pedestrians, it's caused by the over-use of cars.

If a small percentage of those car drivers who could practically do so traveled by bicycle or public transport, the city would be a better place.

The point though was that it is supposed to be transformed into the centre of a new hotel district, and people staying in hotels usually arrive by car.

Really? I didn't think parking was a priority for most city centre hotels these days. Its wasted and expensive land .

Im going to Manchester to see a band next Saturday night. Staying in a hotel close to the University. Take a walk down to the Whitworth for a bit of culture, few beers and the absolute last thing Id do is take my car.

Went to a conference in Cambridge last year, hotel on the edge of the centre car would have been a total hindrance. Folding bike was a boon to get into the city in 10 minutes..

Off to Birmingham for a 2 day event next month . leaving the car behind. Hotel in the city. close to the new New St Grand Central shopping complex which Im looking forward to seeing.

Ill admit if I go see a band in Leeds I usually have to drive and park up near the Eldon and have a dry (as in beer free) night and a 15 - 20 minute walk to the venue but that is because the last train back leaves just as the band reaches its encore and Im not negotiating the car into Leeds to pay there high parking charges .

That standing traffic isn't caused by pedestrians, it's caused by the over-use of cars.

If a small percentage of those car drivers who could practically do so traveled by bicycle or public transport, the city would be a better place.

Price out the plebs?

---------- Post added 16-02-2017 at 13:30 ----------

Really? I didn't think parking was a priority for most city centre hotels these days. Its wasted and expensive land .

Im going to Manchester to see a band next Saturday night. Staying in a hotel close to the University. Take a walk down to the Whitworth for a bit of culture, few beers and the absolute last thing Id do is take my car.

Went to a conference in Cambridge last year, hotel on the edge of the centre car would have been a total hindrance. Folding bike was a boon to get into the city in 10 minutes..

Off to Birmingham for a 2 day event next month . leaving the car behind. Hotel in the city. close to the new New St Grand Central shopping complex which Im looking forward to seeing.

Ill admit if I go see a band in Leeds I usually have to drive and park up near the Eldon and have a dry (as in beer free) night and a 15 - 20 minute walk to the venue but that is because the last train back leaves just as the band reaches its encore and Im not negotiating the car into Leeds to pay there high parking charges .

There's plenty of free on road parking in those parts of Manchester and Birmingham. And you can travel directly and at your convenience and comfort.

I do hope the Council take note of the comments on this thread. I personally don't think convenience or otherwise for drivers should be anywhere on the agenda. Pedestrianisation is key yo making this area attractive as a recreational space.

However, as someone pointed out, making it more easily accessible is also key: the central railings on Arundel Gate and Commercial Street are a physical and psychological barrier which keeps people away. Removing these or making more simple crossing points would be a benefit for people wanting to access the square from those directions.

Similarly, I applaud the removal of the grotty shops and archway steps at the top of Esperanto Place. They provide little more than outdoor toilets and shelter for the sometimes rather threatening dodgy characters who lurk there and deal in weed and other things. I've been threatened there just for glancing at someone. They may not all be like that but the people who occupy the square and the top of Esperanto Place are the main things keeping the public away.

The crossing from Norfolk street is as confusing as it is dangerous. making it a pedestrian/cycle crossing with shorter cycles and response times would be great, and leading to a gently sloping, pedestrianised Esperanto Place (or rename it Norfolk Street, which it is), it would be great, giving views down to the square.

The other thing that's needed is revocation of licences for the bookies,, abusement arcades and pawn shops. The Antics model shop was the only decent place on the square, and now that's gone.

The square (and Haymarket) has some lovely buildings. Some sheds too, but they could go. At the bottom of the stairs in the corner is a lovely little cobbled street, Bakers Hill, which could be a useful space for a market or other street activity. Repurposing the buildings alongside this could encourage people down there, with then a potential to open up that part of Pond Street where it dips under Commercial Street - why not pedestrianise that? Open up the old Barrowboys pub as well, a pub, bar or cafe, whatever, but life could be brought back to that area, is my point.

Yeah it'd take money, but look at Manchester's Northern Quarter, or Camden Lock, as examples of how forgotten and run-down quarters can be revitalised without handing them over to big developers and major brand retailers.

Are you reading this, Sheffield City Council?! Leave the trees alone and put your energies into this instead. Win some brownie points with the people you represent!

This will never happen , but I would rebuild the Bell pub side but keep the former pub has its the only original building left on that side. Rebuild the facade of ' Classic ' cinema and even the domed ' Barclays' bank buildings both once gave the square an air of granduer return the tough that was removed back to its original place. The area needs an new focus either though retail or lesiure.

I second this, cant believe they knocked most of them down. the bank looked great, such a shame.

More pedestrianising. More standing traffic.

Just look at Charter Row in the last few days.

Or Upper Hanover Street/Mappin St since closing Leavygreave.

:thumbsup::rolleyes:

It's just somewhere more posh for people to beg. I wonder if they've moved onto Leavygreave yet? Mainly students, so they'll be comfy and make more money.

eee, I remember when people slagged off students for being poor and making a pint last a whole night....

Open up the old Barrowboys pub as well

This is in the pipeline. Applications for licences went in recently I believe.

Sounds like a good idea to me Fitzalan Square is a dump.

I don't think you know what a dump is. I have seen real dumps and F square even in its current state does not come close to it. I would call it a square in a state neglect.

Does any one remember the Electra Palace Cinema that changed to the Classic Cinema closed as a Cinema in 1982 destroyed in 1984 in a fire the frontage was, when it was uncovered after the fire to be of out standing intrest it was covered over when the Electra was modernised and changed to the Classic.

It was turned into the News Theatre before the Classic. It was known to have the steepest balcony in Sheffield. Do you remember the Roscoe?