Fitzalan square regeneration

With regards the off licenses it would be good to see licencing laws being enforced - e.g. not selling alcohol to intoxicated individuals, otherwise any well run business operating within the law should be allowed chance to succeed

Presumably this will be enforced by the army of police officers currently working in city centre on their 'down-time' from observing spice deals and locking up those offenders?

The end result should be a much cleaner, safer, lighter and generally more pleasant space.

I wonder if they are still going ahead with demolishing the takeaway and convenience store on Arundel Gate to provide a nice route down onto Flat Street as part of this project?

As someone who gets the bus home from Arundel Gate I'd be quite happy with that - the takeaway often smells rancid and the shop seems to do a good trade in selling cheap strong booze to alcoholics and attracts the scroats to the area. Those two shops together make waiting for a bus there not particularly nice, the steps down to Fitzalan Square and Flat Street aren't great either - in terms of accessibility, smell and the people that loiter around them.

I'm with you on this andy. I work nights and catch my bus home from that Stop on arundel gate at 8.30 ish in a morning. If I'm walking up from flat street (depending on which bus I've caught into town from work) , the cleaners at the bingo hall are often cleaning the fire exits which stink of urine from where homeless and alcoholics have decided to use it as a toilet. Then come the steps where you have to stride over the Spice zombies ad then when you get to bus stop you have got alcoholics begging for money to use in shop.

Not yet, but the self-righteous minority are still trying to do so

---------- Post added 04-09-2018 at 07:59 ----------

Id heard it was Margaret Thatcher :)

I'm pleased about that. The multitudes of pigeons that flock around that area can dump all over the effigy. Thatch dumped on Sheffield, the pigeons dump on Thatch:partyhat:

The communal bit in Fitzy Square has been levelled, although the statue is still there. What's happening?.. thanks forum for moving my post and revealing the answers.:thumbsup:

Edited by Cloudsailors

Funny.

Half the time the tree protesters are castigated for not living on the streets they are protesting on, the other half the time they are slagged off as only being interested in the prices of their properties?

Which is it?

It`s whichever suits an agenda at the time.

The only way to sort out Fitzalan Square is to remove all the lowlife that congrecate in the area. The mob who hang about outside the bookies all day and night.

The only way to sort out Fitzalan Square is to remove all the lowlife that congrecate in the area. The mob who hang about outside the bookies all day and night.

Drug dealer central down there.

Lowlife preying on crack addict, vulnerable women.

Atrocious mess.

A shop purportedly selling African food was in reality selling drugs, just opposite, around a year ago.

Shut down by court order after a police request.

I see one of the betting shops has closed ,so that's a good start. I don't know how long it is going to take to finish the job, but they come and do a bit of work then you don't see them for week's and the winter is coming so don't hold your breath.

Looks like nothing is happening there. When is that getting sorted?

A friend drove past it yesterday making nasty comments on how terrible that area looks for so long now.

the re-jigging of Fitzalan square is part of 'the knowledge  gateway' project, which extends all the way along to the Rutland Arms. 

and i'm sure i've seen signs of work starting  outside the showroom...

(there's easy potential for the project to join up with the 'porter brook pocket park',  but i won't hold my breath)

Edited by ads36

My son is due to visit in May after 18 years in the states...boy is he in for a shock. When he left town was somewhere lively vibrant and a good place to shop. Now it is a good place to avoid

Guest makapaka
3 hours ago, wornout53 said:

My son is due to visit in May after 18 years in the states...boy is he in for a shock. When he left town was somewhere lively vibrant and a good place to shop. Now it is a good place to avoid

If he hasn’t been since 2001 I don’t think he’ll be too disappointed  with the town centre.