Fitzalan square regeneration

Fitzalan Square has been a bin for decades - certainly all my lifetime.

It's a shame people can't see the positives in this redevelopment.

Read the thread again, nobody is against the redevelopment of the square, people would prefer the redevelopment to take place around and to incorporate the existing mature trees.

Guest makapaka
Read the thread again, nobody is against the redevelopment of the square, people would prefer the redevelopment to take place around and to incorporate the existing mature trees.

I’ve read it. I think people should look at the bigger picture in this instance.

I think it’s being tagged on to the wider issue around the streets ahead programme.

If that wasn’t happening and it was announced that the square was being redeveloped which would result in more trees in the square I doubt people would have raised it as an issue at all.

I’m also for the trees and the redevelopment, Sheffield needs green areas within the city centre, but as it ignores places like Forge Dam I wouldn’t trust this council to oil the spring on a pogo stick.

I’ve read it. I think people should look at the bigger picture in this instance.

I think it’s being tagged on to the wider issue around the streets ahead programme.

If that wasn’t happening and it was announced that the square was being redeveloped which would result in more trees in the square I doubt people would have raised it as an issue at all.

You're probably correct, 4 trees being replaced wouldn't be news or upset anyone.

4 trees along with another 17500 and it just looks like a pattern doesn't it. A deliberate attack on our greenery.

It's quite clear that nobody is against the redevelopment though.

Guest makapaka
You're probably correct, 4 trees being replaced wouldn't be news or upset anyone.

4 trees along with another 17500 and it just looks like a pattern doesn't it. A deliberate attack on our greenery.

I think we just need to be careful people don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

The square will be better for this redevelopment, even in its present propose design.

Let's not forget the other trees removed from the square before the Arts building was opened

Guest makapaka
Let's not forget the other trees removed from the square before the Arts building was opened

Lets not forget when they brought the derelict post office back into use after nigh on 20 years would be another more positive aspect.

Fitzalan Square has been a bin for decades - certainly all my lifetime.

It's a shame people can't see the positives in this redevelopment.

Where has anyone said they can't see the positives in this redevelopment?

Those trees in the middle of the square were relatively young and could hardly be described as large crowned trees.

Guest makapaka
Where has anyone said they can't see the positives in this redevelopment?

Theres plenty - first few appear on page 2.

1 post on page two says that the new design looks bland...

Guest makapaka

another says;

What a disgrace it now looks. Well done to SCC for destroying more trees and areas