Fitzalan square regeneration

The trees were not the cause of the problems you mention, nor was removing them necessary to regenerate the space.

The trees were not the cause of the problems you mention, nor was removing them necessary to regenerate the space.

They weren't the root cause but I believe they may have contributed to the issue by blocking out light into the square as well as preventing CCTV coverage reaching parts of the square.

We don't live in a time where we have police officers standing on every corner, so sometimes we have to look at other ways of preventing crime and ASB, including addressing the environment these issues take place in.

I know we disagree on this but there's my opinion for what it's worth.

They weren't the root cause but I believe they may have contributed to the issue by blocking out light into the square as well as preventing CCTV coverage reaching parts of the square.

We don't live in a time where we have police officers standing on every corner, so sometimes we have to look at other ways of preventing crime and ASB, including addressing the environment these issues take place in.

I know we disagree on this but there's my opinion for what it's worth.

I think maintenance of the trees could have gone a long way in solving any of those issues (if they were issues) - I don't believe removing all the trees entirely was the only solution. Nor was removing all the trees necessary to complete the regeneration - I think only one tree was actually in the way of any substantial ground work.

Hopefully the square will be nicely regenerated, and the replacement trees will actually have some size and substance to them. The area needs more than just a nice square of course, but hopefully this might act as a catalyst.

So all the previous happened in March 2018. It is now September and the place looks like its been wrecked and abandoned. Even the felled trees have sprouted shoots and there are new leaves. All extremely sad. Will it ever get finished or will it just become another of Sheffield's hideous eyesores. :confused:

Will it ever get finished or will it just become another of Sheffield's hideous eyesores.

It's part of 'the knowledge gateway' scheme.

Due for completion June 2019

I know the trees wernt really the problem but I am glad it looks like a building site right now. Much better than its previous life as being a place for drug addicts and wino's to congregate.

The end result should be a much cleaner, safer, lighter and generally more pleasant space.

I wonder if they are still going ahead with demolishing the takeaway and convenience store on Arundel Gate to provide a nice route down onto Flat Street as part of this project?

As someone who gets the bus home from Arundel Gate I'd be quite happy with that - the takeaway often smells rancid and the shop seems to do a good trade in selling cheap strong booze to alcoholics and attracts the scroats to the area. Those two shops together make waiting for a bus there not particularly nice, the steps down to Fitzalan Square and Flat Street aren't great either - in terms of accessibility, smell and the people that loiter around them.

I know the trees wernt really the problem but I am glad it looks like a building site right now. Much better than its previous life as being a place for drug addicts and wino's to congregate.

What? That makes no sense whatever. "People are dropping litter on this verge, let's napalm it, that'll fix the problem".

Edited by birobasher

I have been reliably informed , by someone in the know , that the statue of Edward VII is to be replaced by a life size stainless steel statue of Julie Dore . The work has already been commissioned :(

I have been reliably informed , by someone in the know , that the statue of Edward VII is to be replaced by a life size stainless steel statue of Julie Dore . The work has already been commissioned :(

mmmmm............."hackey lad" and "reliably informed" on the same page :suspect::suspect::suspect:

No - does not compute :cool: