Fitzalan square regeneration

Exactly, Toby Foster said it last week, the tree protesters are in thier own little bubble, egging each other on, while the majority of us are just fed up with them, and want the council to get on with it.

I don't know a single person that wants the tree felling to go ahead.

And I don't know a single protester...

I think you're in a tiny minority if you want more trees to be felled in the name of Amey's profit.

Sorry if this has been said already but anyone losing sleep over trees in Fitzalan Square needs head examining!

The trees do nothing but provide cover for anti-social behaviour and crime. Having worked with city centre police in a previous role I can tell you the assortment of weapons and drugs etc regularly found in the undergrowth around trees was eye-popping.

Hope this part of town gets redeveloped and it ceases to be a magnet for scrotes, in the meantime tree protesters by all means stick up for healthy nice trees in the suburbs but not ones that could be locked up as accessory to countless robberies and other crimes!

The trees do nothing but provide cover for anti-social behaviour and crime. Having worked with city centre police in a previous role I can tell you the assortment of weapons and drugs etc regularly found in the undergrowth around trees was eye-popping.

The trees aren't to blame for this and shouldn't be culled as a result. Other cities manage to have trees in their city centre public spaces.

I don't know a single person that wants the tree felling to go ahead.

And I don't know a single protester...

I think you're in a tiny minority if you want more trees to be felled in the name of Amey's profit.

"I... ...I... ...I...", seem to rember Toby mentioning a bubble.

:D

The trees aren't to blame for this and shouldn't be culled as a result. Other cities manage to have trees in their city centre public spaces.

And so does Sheffield in the right place - this isn't the right place.

I happened to be passing the square this morning and I may be wrong but appears that the trees are still there!! OK, they seem to have had a severe pruning but they will surely grow back over a couple of years?

I happened to be passing the square this morning and I may be wrong but appears that the trees are still there!! OK, they seem to have had a severe pruning but they will surely grow back over a couple of years?

I'm hoping they aren't going to be removed. The council did say the light levels under the canopy were the main issue.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 14:24 ----------

And so does Sheffield in the right place - this isn't the right place.

Why isn't it the right place?

They've been pollarded so birds can't nest in them this Spring, with a view to cutting them down soon.

I'm hoping they aren't going to be removed. The council did say the light levels under the canopy were the main issue.

---------- Post added 15-03-2018 at 14:24 ----------

Why isn't it the right place?

Because Fitzalan square is, and has been for some time, a hotspot for crime, drug dealing/use and exploitation of children - aided and abetted by the poor lighting and lack of natural surveillance created by the trees.

Maybe some bog standard trees in a rundown part of the city are more important to some folk that protecting vulnerable people from crime? Not my call.

They've been pollarded so birds can't nest in them this Spring, with a view to cutting them down soon.

If that is the ultimate aim why couldnt they chop them down when they were pruning them?

Because Fitzalan square is, and has been for some time, a hotspot for crime, drug dealing/use and exploitation of children - aided and abetted by the poor lighting and lack of natural surveillance created by the trees.

Maybe some bog standard trees in a rundown part of the city are more important to some folk that protecting vulnerable people from crime? Not my call.

You're blaming crime on....trees?

You're blaming crime on....trees?

nope, the criminal is responsible for the crime, authorities including the council and police are responsible if they don't take measures to prevent crime - like making the environment less appealing to criminals.