Fitzalan square regeneration

What does bijou mean ? :) And don't you know the city centre has officially moved :)

Bijou. jewel, trinket. small and elegant. me neither.

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Bijou: small, elegant, and a bit Boho. Not words you associate with Sheffield I grant you, but hey, we have to start somewhere...:

Yes I know the town centre has moved, but I understand that the area from Fitzallan square down to Ladies Bridge is earmarked to become the 'Historical quarter' drawing on plans to open up the ruins of Sheffield Castle (under the old Castle Market.) It includes the old Courthouse, (could that become a Castle Museum?) the Post Office, and various other innovative ideas.

Nice ideas - whether it'll ever happen is another matter...

Edited by Anna B

Personally, I think the new plans look pretty bland and boring, like all the other schemes. They've taken all the character out of it. The area needed a good clean up to be sure, but the trees, the statue and the surrounding stonework could have been made to look really good for a fraction of the price. the foundations were already there, with character and history.

The surrounding shops are the real problem, scruffy and downmarket. Spend the money on smartening them up, and attracting new more upmarket businesses, and it could be a lovely, bijou addition to the city centre

Yes I agree.

It is a shame, as I think Sheffield is capable of producing good new public realm, which has been done recently with the ongoing grey to green scheme. I think removing the trees here tho is a big mistake, exacerbated by replacing them with those rather uninspiring pencil like trees that have no canopy at all.

Current best practice advice from urban and landscape designers is to plant big trees in large public realms that will grow to have large canopies. These create the places that people want to dwell in. Whilst a lot needs to be done before Fitzalan Sq becomes a place anyone would want to spend much time, removing the trees won’t help at all, and will in fact do the opposite..

Sheffield Tree Action Groups on facebook is a good place to follow what is happening to Sheffield's trees. Prepare to be shocked, I kid you not.

No proof of this but I would also assume that those in the poorer areas would probably think that the resources wasted by the police and council on those protesting would be better off spent elsewhere.

Perhaps the council should stop doing such unpopular things that they have to take their own councillors to court and use the police to interfere with legitimate protests then...

Fitzalan Sq looks brighter and better already without the trees. They made it far too dark and dingy.

Trees aren't the right answer in every situation. Sometimes we're better off getting shut of them. If we had a different climate then there would be more of a case for loads of big trees to provide shade.

Where were the tree huggers?

Oh yes, it doesn't affect them does it?

If it's not knocking money off their houses, they don't give a stuff.

First of all, that's bobbins. Second, I don't think anyone knew Amey were going to hack the trees. Thirdly, are you admitting in your post that tree felling has a negative effect?

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 17:07 ----------

Fitzalan Sq looks brighter and better already without the trees. They made it far too dark and dingy.

Trees aren't the right answer in every situation. Sometimes we're better off getting shut of them. If we had a different climate then there would be more of a case for loads of big trees to provide shade.

No one is against proper management of trees: pollarding is a decent compromise for very tall mature trees like that. I just hope they remember that trees are an asset, not a problem.

Sheffield Tree Action Groups on facebook is a good place to follow what is happening to Sheffield's trees. Prepare to be shocked, I kid you not.

Oh you'll be shocked all right, they're completely bonkers.

STAG Facebook is like posh version of Jeremy Kyle.

I know trees have become a Sheffield issue but what oh what is going on in Fitzalan square?

Why are they chopping them down this morning?

Madness---the only bit of real greenery in the area....are SCC mad?

I'm for keeping trees but the ones in Fitzallen Square really did need attention, I don't like statues of royalty but even that was being lost by the foliage, sooner the statue was removed and re-erected on Fargate or near the Peace Gardens.

First of all, that's bobbins. Second, I don't think anyone knew Amey were going to hack the trees. Thirdly, are you admitting in your post that tree felling has a negative effect?

---------- Post added 10-03-2018 at 17:07 ----------

No one is against proper management of trees: pollarding is a decent compromise for very tall mature trees like that. I just hope they remember that trees are an asset, not a problem.

The trees are being completed removed, not just pollarded.