Fitzalan square regeneration

Guest makapaka
It does look quite neat, though personally I'd have preferred something incorporating the existing trees.

Other European countries seem to manage to retain old Plane trees in their squares easily enough, which seems to maintain the character of the area, whilst still sprucing it up a bit.

I just hope they employ someone who understands how to plan and plant these new 11 trees, unlike some of the examples in this report;

Absolutely they should be planted correctly. I’m sure there have been trees removed in other countries at times.

Disgrace what they are doing to the trees in Sheffield

It gives the wealthy, retired middle class in the better areas something to do with their time.

I'd love to see the reaction from them if they were chopping trees in Parson Cross, Page Hall or the Manor.

Look upon it as fuel for the log burners I suppose keep 'em warm whilst nibbling on the hummous and avocado and waiting for the Waitrose delivery

I particularly loved the woman crying over the trees on TV tonight

Edited by Nankypoo

It gives the wealthy, retired middle class in the better areas something to do with their time.

I'd love to see the reaction from them if they were chopping trees in Parson Cross, Page Hall or the Manor.

Look upon it as fuel for the log burners I suppose keep 'em warm whilst nibbling on the hummous and avocado and waiting for the Waitrose delivery

I particularly loved the woman crying over the trees on TV tonight

Yes, they WERE noticeably absent when they were chopping the trees down in the East End of the city. Still, they are only oiks aint they?

Why havent they trucked up to save the trees in the Square then? Oh hang on, its not in their street is it!!!

One of the problems with doing work around trees is tree protection. Building or laying any kind of path/paving is a complete nightmare. Tree protection zones where you are not allowed to do anything are ridiculous, - no digging (at all), no storing materials, the erection of fences to enforce the protection e.t.c. If someone with a bee in their in their bonnet really decides to push and enforce the 'tree protection' you need to basically assume that you may not disturb the ground at all under pretty much the entire canopy of the tree.

Unfortunately it isn't a matter of common sense, all it takes is one person with the correct knowledge and they can tie the whole thing up forever and a day. I suspect that's a contributing factor to why you're seeing a lot of trees being removed. It's literally easier and cheaper to chop them down and plant new ones than it is to work around the ones that are there, - its bonkers.

Yes, they WERE noticeably absent when they were chopping the trees down in the East End of the city. Still, they are only oiks aint they?

Why havent they trucked up to save the trees in the Square then? Oh hang on, its not in their street is it!!!

Who does actually live in ‘the Square’? I was of the opinion that it is in the city centre, how many East Enders were present to protect ‘their’ trees by the way?

Who does actually live in ‘the Square’? I was of the opinion that it is in the city centre, how many East Enders were present to protect ‘their’ trees by the way?

This.

If the residents of Page Hall, Parsons Cross etc want to save their trees then STAG will support them but the initiative has to come from the residents. The crowd you see protesting on the news will be largely made up of people who live in the immediate area, they will have been watching their own street and sending out an alert when the felling crews arrive. There's nothing to stop people in other parts of the city doing the same. Yes there are lots of retired people involved but I'm sure there are plenty of retirees in these other areas as well.

This.

If the residents of Page Hall, Parsons Cross etc want to save their trees then STAG will support them but the initiative has to come from the residents. The crowd you see protesting on the news will be largely made up of people who live in the immediate area, they will have been watching their own street and sending out an alert when the felling crews arrive. There's nothing to stop people in other parts of the city doing the same. Yes there are lots of retired people involved but I'm sure there are plenty of retirees in these other areas as well.

Retirees in these areas probably are not well enough motivated, educated, or possibly have more common sense than to assume to such lofty pseudo middle class pretensions, and probably have greater things to worry about such as finance, crime, health etc.

None of which appear to be great problems on Sandford Grove Road and surrounding areas.

No proof of this but I would also assume that those in the poorer areas would probably think that the resources wasted by the police and council on those protesting would be better off spent elsewhere.

Edited by mickyboy

What a disgrace it now looks. Well done to SCC for destroying more trees and areas

What a disgrace it now looks. Well done to SCC for destroying more trees and areas

Don't worry when the finance is found to pay for it :huh: and the work is finally completed :huh: I am sure Fitzalan Square will be a hub of cosmopolitan eateries and niche theatres :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

It does look quite neat, though personally I'd have preferred something incorporating the existing trees.

Other European countries seem to manage to retain old Plane trees in their squares easily enough, which seems to maintain the character of the area, whilst still sprucing it up a bit.

I just hope they employ someone who understands how to plan and plant these new 11 trees, unlike some of the examples in this report;

Personally, I think the new plans look pretty bland and boring, like all the other schemes. They've taken all the character out of it. The area needed a good clean up to be sure, but the trees, the statue and the surrounding stonework could have been made to look really good for a fraction of the price. the foundations were already there, with character and history.

The surrounding shops are the real problem, scruffy and downmarket. Spend the money on smartening them up, and attracting new more upmarket businesses, and it could be a lovely, bijou addition to the city centre

Personally, I think the new plans look pretty bland and boring, like all the other schemes. They've taken all the character out of it. The area needed a good clean up to be sure, but the trees, the statue and the surrounding stonework could have been made to look really good for a fraction of the price. the foundations were already there, with character and history.

The surrounding shops are the real problem, scruffy and downmarket. Spend the money on smartening them up, and attracting new more upmarket businesses, and it could be a lovely, bijou addition to the city centre

What does bijou mean ? :) And don't you know the city centre has officially moved :)