Missed call from an invalid phone number

I ask the scammers who say they are from BT for my account number for security. They soon hang up.

I use the BT call blocker 1572. Just dial it after putting the phone down on an obvious scam call. They ask if you want to block the last call and you answer yes, (via the options).

Cut down nuisance calls by 75% since Christmas.

never answer home phone always let it go to answer machine first , then sort from there .Family never use home phone always mobile and its easy to see who is calling .

I'm waiting for oven man to call back, so I can give him the address of my nearest cermatorium ....

Usually I answer any number I don't know with a curt yes, then when they say am I speaking to MR ****** I say who is asking being as brusque as possible until I know if it is a genuine caller then I mellow.

If it’s not a number I recognise, I tend to wait. I always think if it’s genuine or relevant, they will leave a message and I will call them back.... if they don’t leave a message, it can’t be that important.

I think sometimes, bogus companies call out, if you answer, they know it’s a number that’s being used, so gets added to list of numbers in service. These are then sold on in bulk to cold calling companies etc.

Is that a euphemism? :D

Lmao ? !!!!!!

If it’s not a number I recognise, I tend to wait. I always think if it’s genuine or relevant, they will leave a message and I will call them back.... if they don’t leave a message, it can’t be that important.

I think sometimes, bogus companies call out, if you answer, they know it’s a number that’s being used, so gets added to list of numbers in service. These are then sold on in bulk to cold calling companies etc.

Agree on both points.

You find if you do answer you will often get more calls on that day at that time the following week.

I'm with the previous poster, don't recognise the number, don't answer it. the classic one I heard from my daughter was, a call came through saying she'd had an road accident, in a loud voice she asked her husband if she had, caller rang off!

I wait for them to call back - if it's important they will otherwise I don't bother about it.

How would a call back help if you never answer unknown numbers?

I once answered before we had the handset with truecall installed to a foreign gentleman trying to sell electricity. As I was quite insistent on not wanting his services he became abusive. He started to talk dirty. I joined in and raised the game. He soon hanged up on me lol.