Missed call from an invalid phone number

Top cat

There’s no such numbers now that can cost anything like £10 per minute

We have had all out going calls blocked from the chippy phone. £200 worth of calls to a mobile number. When I looked up the number it came up as a scamming number. Over 100 calls to it ranging from 10 seconds to a minute. BT said the security/fraud department was aware and refunded the money straight away. We chose to block all out going numbers to save the rigmarole as they claim they can’t isolate the number and guarantee not to,be scammed again.

Probably foreign call centers spoofing numbers. Ignore it!

I've had the double whammy over the last 2 days, and not nice either now that I'm working from home because of the snow ...

...The oven cleaning man called me today, I was taken totally by surprise as it was a Sheffield number - does he only live up the road I thought, and is he just aching to come around and give my oven a good seeing to? Scary thought, as I always clean my own oven ...

... Yesterday I had the nice lady from supposedly BT (funny that as I'm not with BT) wanting to help stop all the spam and fake news emanating from my computer, she was asking me to press all sorts of keys and give something called an IP address - is this something to do with UKIP? I was extra confused as she sounded Indian this time, are they not normally Chinese? Like the last Chinese man on a similar call who eventually swore and banged down the phone on me when I struggled with the key combination of Shift+Alt+Enter ....

I don't know, from Beighton to Bangalore, I don't seem to be very helpful these days in contributing to a smooth frictionless trade within a new global economic arena ... :confused::confused:

Edited by GinTreeS7
More blaaah

Had enough dodgy calls in the past.

Now if I don't recognise it it does not get answered,if its genuine they can leave a message.

Because sometimes it CAN be something valid, someone who changed their number without telling you, etc. This is especially relevant if you have hospital appointments.

If you call a local number I'm pretty sure they CAN'T make it charge more than a local call, as that is all your service provider sees and charges for.

Now if its a recorded message and you press something then THAT can be an issue, but the recorded message should be a tell-tale that something is off about it. But if you receive a call with a recorded message that is still a potential issue, you don't have to be making the call.

I wait for them to call back - if it's important they will otherwise I don't bother about it.

Had enough dodgy calls in the past.

Now if I don't recognise it it does not get answered,if its genuine they can leave a message.

I do the same. Even tho we are on the TPS calls still manage to get through.

Angel1.

NEVER trust any number or name displayed on your phone, it can all be spoofed.

BT and other phone companies are quite happy to take the termination fees and allow incoming junk calls with invalid caller ID information.

You can get free apps that will get a call to display any phone number you want at the other end.

I have a BT phone with built in blocker but the phone upstairs doesn't so I can see on there if I have had a missed call and the callers number.

As for calling the number, I always withhold my number, the phone is a pay as you go so I can't be charged a silly price for making a call.

Also if you answer a scam call then you move up the list as a likely target and will get more calls.

If they don't sell/scam you they will try and gather as much information they can about you.

Some of them are very clever but they just lie and certainly take no notice of TPS!

Am on a so called "suckers" list so have done lots of research on the subject.

I have registered with the TPS but a complete waste of time

Waiting for the oven cleaner to ring me back and then will make an appointment giving the address of a house I know to be empty and waste their time

Sheffield City Council Trading Standards can provide advice and practical assistance to people who are vulnerable to scams.

Do you know someone who:

Receives a lot of junk mail about prize draws, competition or lotteries and responds by sending cash or cheques to claim their 'prize'?

Is pestered by nuisance calls?

Buys a lot of mail order goods like vitamins or other medication?

You can help by looking out for these simple signs and reporting your concerns to us on 03454 04 05 06 or at [email protected]

*** NOT BORN YESTERDAY - GUARD AGAINST SCAMS AND ROGUE TRADERS ***